Thread: Need help applying LUTs correctly in DR ACES workflow

1. #1 Need help applying LUTs correctly in DR ACES workflow 
    I'm used to RCM and recently started to use ACES. Although I have color graded using Resolve for a long while, I'm a novice to the ACES workflow. I need your help.

I was watching this YouTube video on how to correctly apply LUTS in ACES on Resolve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStMXGvEmoA

I understand the IDT and ODT and got my ACES workflow setup. But when I follow this YT using his 3 node technique (Color Transform/LUT/Color Transform nodes), the image still looks awful.

For example, I have a BMD 4K pro-res 422 HD Film clip. I have already did the ACES transform on the clip to BMD 4K Film. In the color tab, I added the 3 nodes after the first. The second node is a CT with input color space and gamma = Timeline and out color space/gamma = Rec709. On the forth node is another CT with input color space/gamma = Rec709 and output color space/gamma = timeline. I had it just like in the video.

I downloaded a REC709 gamma LUT and also have Frank G's K-Tone Vintage LUT. When I apply either LUT, the colors are just wrong. I've been trying to step back and retrace what I'm doing wrong but each time feels like the followed the example to the T and the color is still wrong.

I'd appreciate any ideas and help on this subject matter. Thanks!

Are the luts you are trying to apply created with aces footage as the source?

i don't use "creative" luts, and don't have any on the machine at home (i have a zillion on the server at my studio, most all of them are crap) but i can get a reasonable transform from log encoded to display with this recipe
    - node 1: input gamma & color space + output color space = timeline / output gamma = RedLogFilm (identical to Cineon)
    - node 2: lut to transform cineon to 709 of your choseing
    - node 3: input color space +output gamma & color space = timeline / input gamma = 709

tests acceptably with RED and ArriRAW, only footage i have at home today... there is an output transform built into ACES, so you will look through two transforms, the one in the node tree, and the one in the RRT/ODT, it will never match the same lut in a display refered workflow without some tweaking

edit to add, i found a "creative" lut on my system at home, from Steve Shaw @ light illusion designed for 709->709, was able to tweak to a pretty close match to the same shot with no grade, the source is ArriRAW
    - node 1: ACES transform, output set to 709
    - node 2: lut / node colorspace set to 709
    - node 3: ACES transform, input set to 709

i could get a close match to the shot without those nodes with some tweaking, but at the same time, if i can match back to this"look" i can also just create it in teh first place myself...

if you are looking of a flexiable PFE, give Paul Dore's DCTL a try....
    Last edited by dermot shane; 07-23-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Are the luts you are trying to apply created with aces footage as the source?
    I don't know. They were LUTs created by Frank G and Norm K. What I know is that they has a Rec 709 gamma.

Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    i don't use "creative" luts, and don't have any on the machine at home (i have a zillion on the server at my studio, most all of them are crap) but i can get a reasonable transform from log encoded to display with this recipe
    - node 1: input gamma & color space + output color space = timeline / output gamma = RedLogFilm (identical to Cineon)
    - node 2: lut to transform cineon to 709 of your choseing
    - node 3: input color space +output gamma & color space = timeline / input gamma = 709

tests acceptably with RED and ArriRAW, only footage i have at home today... there is an output transform built into ACES, so you will look through two transofroms, the one int he node tree, and the one in the RRT/ODT, it will never match the same lut in a display refered workflow without some tweaking
    Thanks. I'll give this a try. Will report back if I have problems.