Thread: Building an editing computer for Resolve 16

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    the utlity of a second GPU is project/workflow based, how often you need to call upon temporal effects, AI enhanced effects, and OFX.... then a second GPU shines, otherwise, really not worth it
    Actually, I use temporal noise reduction quite often. I also have a 1080 ti. Have you done any tests comparing one GPU to two in this regard? Saying "a second GPU shines" does not tell me much. I really need hard numbers. Also, I'm working at 4K.

Thanks.

I use ofx and temporal NR all the time. Sapphire, mocha, resolve ofx, universe etc definitely gpu heavy.

If you plan on doing any 3d vfx work, or even using fusion for compositing it is very memory hungry compared to some other applications
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 07-23-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Not worth it - get the best single card you can afford, and you are golden.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-Xeon-SP-1121/
    This is good information Frank. Being a computer person, I went to PCParts and cost out pretty much the same box to the T. If I build it myself, I would save almost $2K. Might just do that when I'm ready to upgrade. I'm happy with my current system.

Anyone tried the 3rd gen Ryzen yet? the 3600 is an absolute bargain for 315 AUD here in aus. Get 6 cores and 12 threads and since Ram has gone back down you can really put together quite the machine for under 1k AUD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    Actually, I use temporal noise reduction quite often. I also have a 1080 ti. Have you done any tests comparing one GPU to two in this regard? Saying "a second GPU shines" does not tell me much. I really need hard numbers. Also, I'm working at 4K.

Thanks.
    yea, the machines are working 24/7, so i'm not really in a position pull one card out for a test

really if you can get the show out the door with a single card, can there be a reason to buy more than is needed?

and pretty much everything i do has DCi4k deliverables, the real kill shot is a deliverable of cam orig raster roundtrip, and the cam orig is 8k..... that's where 11g is near impossiable

Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    yea, the machines are working 24/7, so i'm not really in a position pull one card out for a test
    I believe it's possible to temporarily disable one of the GPUs in Davinci's preferences. No need to physically pull it out of the box. If you're ever so inclined, it would be very interesting to see what the results are.

right now i have two films up against a deadline for TIFF plus a some commericals and another feature picloks today... need the horsepower untill at least mid august

Hope you'll run some tests when it's convenient.

Last year Puget Systems was showing the Threadrippers being SLOWER than Intel CPUs when running many Resolve tasks. And I have heard plenty of stories of bugs and issues when running the Threadrippers with nVidea boards like the 1080Tti in a "video" style system.
    For these reasons I'm still inclined to stick with the Intel i7's and i9's.... for now.
    I'd love to see the new Threadrippers achieve the stability in Video-System hard testing like Puget Systems does.
    And what's not to like about more PCIe lanes.

Also there's the matter of Motherboard quality and stability. So far I'm seeing the X299 boards doing really well - despite the higher costs. I absolutely do not want to be wrestling with system buggaboos originating from the chipset platform and motherboards.

Anyone have any solid testing information (like Puget Systems') that shows the Threadrippers really solidly matching up to the Intels? I'm not interested in saving a few hundred bucks, so price doesn't matter to me when it comes to CPUs.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Anyone have any solid testing information (like Puget Systems') that shows the Threadrippers really solidly matching up to the Intels? I'm not interested in saving a few hundred bucks, so price doesn't matter to me when it comes to CPUs.
    Well, last year I built a new machine using a 16 core Threadripper 2950x and in Davinci it was aproximately 50% slower than my 4 year old, 8 core 5960X which was running at 4.2 GHz. To say the least I was shocked. And this was using the same physical video card, a 1080 ti.
    I thought I might have done something wrong in the build, but when I ran a Cinema 4D render, the Threadripper was exactly twice as fast as the 5960x, which was right in line with what you would expect.

So, yeah, I'm very wary of AMD chips in Davinci. But, ever the optimist, I'm hoping the new 16 core Ryzen 3950x will be good. Heck, even the 12 core 3900x might be a winner with Davinci. But so far I haven't seen any tests.
    Last edited by Ralph B; 07-24-2019 at 08:52 PM.