Thread: Jellyfish that's not sushi?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good call Robert, I appreciate your advice. I've been looking at this and will look harder now . I like your thinking about having some money left over for an IT guy to help as needed. I always tend to try to do it all myself.

Wondering what to use for Archiving? Over 90GB's is a fair amount. Currently we archive by project rather then by device. We happily use Chronosync. Don't think it works on Linux but it might be fine from the workstation.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrington; 07-23-2019 at 01:38 PM.

You might have a look on Sony's Optical Disc Archive:
    https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/optical-disc
    The latest discs can store 3.3 TB

Would love to see SpeedTest run on one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    I But even with it's large cost they claimed it more then paid for itself with the ease which the data was handled as well as the ease of archiving.
    I always hear this: "that camera paid for itself", or that computer, or any kind a gear.

I think it's a misconception unless you rent your gear out.

Lets say you buy a Pocket4k and you make the money back on your first gig with her.
    Did it pay for itself? No of course not. You got paid for your work, and you could have done it with a rental cam.
    Sure that gig somehow compensates the money for the camera, but than you worked for free (not to mention the taxes you have to pay and your other expenses),
    actually you worked for your camera :-)

Good point Frank let me restate. I was told that they looked at buying 8 RAIDs each with a corresponding archiving dock. In addition to that they would have the cost of managing coordinating all the data into the master edit drive. In their case it was cheaper for them to use the Jellyfish then have everyone working with individual setups. They still had to manage the data a bit and someone was responsible to archive it, but it was much simpler though kinda large. So they definitely paid just the cost was less going that route. I've got to say that everyone using it seemed to really like it. And it was pretty easy even for freelancers dropping stuff off.

I'm trying to solve a similar yet different problem. While the NAS let's you share your Resolve projects between collaborators in a central place (like an office), what I need is to be able to share the project with a couple other editor and colorist who are remote - as in one is in Chicago the other in San Francisco. I'm in Southern California. I don't want to be sending hard drives around or having copies in everyone's local computer. If some of you guys know software, something like a Github but instead for video editing and grading.

I have to use a lumaforge jellyfish at work and its been a horrible experience way to many issues. This is my experience other may have had a better one.
    Lee MJ Daley

DP, Animator, Finishing Artist

leemjdaley.com
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by m0fe View Post
    I have to use a lumaforge jellyfish at work and its been a horrible experience way to many issues. This is my experience other may have had a better one.
    Can you elaborate? We're currently looking at one for a group of four editors.