Thread: Received my G2! But....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Anything can be DOA that's what warranties are for and BM seems to do well in honouring that. If you are a professional you don't just unwrap a new piece of gear and take it on a shoot, you test it first. If you are an owner operator you take on the responsibility of the rental house of making sure gear works as expected and having reasonable replacement available if something goes wrong. If you are using an UMP on a job that could hire an Alexa or Red it doesn't seem unreasonable to have 2 or even 3 available for the difference in rental, and sell the client on the efficiency of working that way. If you are doing corporate and using in place of fs7 or c300ii there is still enough margin to carry P4k, if you are shooting lower end than that why even give the client something so awesome as a G2 on their piddly budget. You can still nearly carry 2 P4k for what is typically used on a dslr shoot a7sii and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Anything can be DOA that's what warranties are for and BM seems to do well in honouring that. If you are a professional you don't just unwrap a new piece of gear and take it on a shoot, you test it first. If you are an owner operator you take on the responsibility of the rental house of making sure gear works as expected and having reasonable replacement available if something goes wrong. If you are using an UMP on a job that could hire an Alexa or Red it doesn't seem unreasonable to have 2 or even 3 available for the difference in rental, and sell the client on the efficiency of working that way. If you are doing corporate and using in place of fs7 or c300ii there is still enough margin to carry P4k, if you are shooting lower end than that why even give the client something so awesome as a G2 on their piddly budget. You can still nearly carry 2 P4k for what is typically used on a dslr shoot a7sii and the like.
    Anybody who thinks it's Ok to get DOA gear, they should get just that, what they deserve.

And it looks like a G2 might just be able to deliver on that promise, in true Blackmagic tradition.

I personally don't think its Ok to get DOA cameras so my money is staying in pocket for the moment, versus in someone else's pocket.

Pun intended.

It starts at the top.

I personally don't think ANY product should be DOA brand new. Even if parts are printed and mass produced, someone should flip the switch to see if it turns on. I don't think that part is hard or costs any more money. In any case, I have received the replacement and will see what happens. FINGERS CROSSED!

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    Anybody who thinks it's Ok to get DOA gear, they should get just that, what they deserve.

Anybody that reduces detailed discussions to binary choices should get that, a life without nuance and healthy debate.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    My biggest issue as the partner in charge of design and testing is short term memory loss and weight gain.
    Hmmm, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
    Hmmm, interesting.
    It's OK, it's legal here.

Ok good news and bad news:

Good news - It turns on! Seems to be working just fine.
    Bad news - The knob that is in the photo is not working? Also when I press down on it, sometimes it changes the ISO up. (idk why photo is upside down btw)

Is there a setting that I'm messing up? I checked that to see if the 'Lock' was on, but i've switched both of them off.

Maybe I'm just a noob and need to do more research?

IMG_0107.jpg
    Last edited by methodikalgee; 07-03-2019 at 08:04 PM.

If I buy a brand new car straight out of the garage I expect it to work and serve me right away. Cameras should be no different.

Not if they sold brand new cars for $4000-$5000.

Ok first of all, this shouldn’t happen to anyone.

Everyone should expect their camera to work out of the box. Any reasonable dealer would swap it right away.

Now...

How do we know that it wasn’t QC’d ? Maybe it did turn on at the factory and something changed in transit ?

How many other threads are there that show this exact fault ? camera doesn’t turn on out of the box as being a very common fault ?

If you think this doesn’t happen to cars then just google Lemon law. My line producer bought a brand new Audi Q7. It stopped working the first month he had it AFTER he ordered and waited 4 months for it to be delivered after he ordered it.

The central pop up screen stopped working and he couldn’t operate his car. Still took a few days to get it sorted and fixed.

JB