Thread: Received my G2! But....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Reliability comes with a price.
    A reliable 4k high quality image with all those features doesn't cost $6K, it costs $60K.
    Blackmagic just offers a cheap-ass version of one of those cameras for 1/10th the price. Expecting it to be as reliable and high quality as the $60K versions isn't a reasonable idea. We don't expect that from any other extreme-cost-cutting versions of any other type of product, do we?
    I dunno if I agree with this premise. Yes, I know cheap quality cheap results but... For Blackmagic, they've made pretty well build equipment and cameras. The URSA line does not look and feel cheap at all. My friend has a C200 and I find the G2 to be solidly build compared to the C200. The magnesium housing of the G2 (I think), for example, feels like a more expensive build compare to the plastic feel of the C200.

A reliable 4k high quality image with all those features doesn't cost $6K, it costs $60K.
    Blackmagic just offers a cheap-ass version of one of those cameras for 1/10th the price. Expecting it to be as reliable and high quality as the $60K versions isn't a reasonable idea. We don't expect that from any other extreme-cost-cutting versions of any other type of product, do we?
    I don't particularly agree with this either. For example, Costco is selling 55" Samsung 4K tv's for $379. If it didn't work after a month I would be pissed. BM does lower the price point dramatically, and that's also because the old school players are trying to protect their profit margins. Because the cost of pro motion gear (remember 35mm sound cameras?) was historically so expensive, rental houses covered maintenance with full time technicians. Pro photographers however, always carried backup rigs.

Now that "pro" motion gear is the same cost as stills gear, we may have to get used to the idea of having backup systems on hand.

ie: a BMPCC 4K with Speed Booster serves as a backup to my C300M2, which I sometimes bring along as backup when productions hire a different camera for a shoot.
    karlkimdp.com

$To have to spend 60K for a reliable camera is a crock.

Pure fanboy rationalization.

Blackmagic should be ashamed of the people who have to come here and post about their brand new defective cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by MihaK View Post
    Seeing they are in stock somewhere - did anyone received their in Europe? I ordered mine from CVP in april and they say didnt receive any cameras yet.
    Got my G2 from CVP last week.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    $To have to spend 60K for a reliable camera is a crock.

Pure fanboy rationalization.

Blackmagic should be ashamed of the people who have to come here and post about their brand new defective cameras.
    An Alexa is hand-assembled, and every component is rigorously tested along the way. Then after assembly each camera is subjected to extreme stress to filter out any units with imperfections. That's how you make a bulletproof machine, and it costs a lot of money to have specialized labs for that kind of quality control.

If you think a $5000 machine-printed assembly line piece of equipment is going to have that kind you attention to detail you're living in a dream world.

Blackmagic has embraced the low end. That means defective units are serviced or replaced from the field. The cost of quality control is transferred to the end-user. That's just the way it is.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Buying any brand new camera and have it not power on is unacceptable at any price point. What kind of lame excuse is it for a lack of QC? I wish BM stopped cranking half baked cameras, that are tossed together like at five to five on Friday night, and start working on QC, and timely delivery. Kudos for making cameras with a great IQ at lower price point, but the reliability and QC is really horrid.

It's not lame, it's true. QC costs money. This is one of the main reasons if not the #1 reason why BM cameras are so inexpensive.

Jarred Land (RED) once mentioned that they lose an insane amount of money from throwing away sensors that failed their testing. If the G2 went through that, it would be $10K-$20K+ like everyone else's cinema cameras with similar specs.

There is not enough on the return to spend thousands of hours rigorously testing everything.

Now while it's not exactly acceptable, it's justifiable.

For the FWIW file. We have 4 BM cameras going back to the first model. We've beaten the crap out of all of them - not physical abuse but under what most film makers consider extreme conditions.

Through cold and rain and snow, long shoot days and everything in between we've never had a failure of any kind on any of our BM cameras.

For the money and IQ and now Braw and the evolution of Resolve, Blackmagic has nothing to apologize for. IMHO it's just the opposite - they've exceeded most people's wildest expectations.

I mean who else has done anything like this?

And yes, of course we could have gotten a camera that was DOA or had a faulty door. But that wouldn't change anything that they've accomplsihed or why we've moved from a Cannon/FCP shop to a Blackmagic/Resolve shop.

Regarding R&D, it is as NorBro says.

I'm parter in another company and we're in the middle of R&D of a new vape. Given all the vapes on the market we wanted to develop something breakthrough, and as of today we have.

We're in the 5th round of prototyping and we'll continue as many rounds as necessary. But we have an advantage in that my partner owns the manufacturing plant - otherwise the cost of development would be astronomical compared to what it is.

My biggest issue as the partner in charge of design and testing is short term memory loss and weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    For the FWIW file. We have 4 BM cameras going back to the first model. We've beaten the crap out of all of them - not physical abuse but under what most film makers consider extreme conditions.

Through cold and rain and snow, long shoot days and everything in between we've never had a failure of any kind on any of our BM cameras.

For the money and IQ and now Braw and the evolution of Resolve, Blackmagic has nothing to apologize for. IMHO it's just the opposite - they've exceeded most people's wildest expectations.

I mean who else has done anything like this?
    This, BMD has proved time and again that they can make products that compete at realistic margin and cost. I have heard of Alexa, Canon, and Sony F700 failing. It's rare, and so are BMD arriving DOA or failing on set. We should be happy and supportive of them so that they can focus on giving us useable and better quality products. Complains like this just doesn't do any good not only for BMD but for owners of their products. If you can afford a $20K camera and feel you're paying for durability and security, go ahead. For those who are counting on low cost high functionality and reasonable durability and security, BMD is giving that to us now so let's not kill then goose laying our golden egg.