Thread: Received my G2! But....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Received my G2! But.... 
    Would not power on. Womp womp. I did however call customer service (in Singapore mind you, it was 1am when I was trying it out) and CS diagnosed the problem over the phone. I returned it and another one is on the way. I was pretty excited to join the BM eco-system but now am a little skeptical. I can't have things like that happen on a professional set, let alone during tests. TIME IS MONEY in this industry!

Any words of advice for a first time BM user? Is this to be expected in all their products? Or did I just have bad luck?

It's expected, but BM has improved a lot over the years. Sometimes you'll get one BM camera that you'll put through hell and back and it will be perfect, and other times you get your first BM camera and it won't turn on, LOL.

Just the way of the universe.

Words of advice...bring a back-up camera to every shoot (even a point-and-shoot if that's all you can bring).

This is a rare instance but it can happen with any brand of product. I've had 6 Blackmagic Cameras in the last 5 years and thankfully everyone of them had no issues.
    My UMP G2 arrived a couple of weeks ago with no issues at all. I just used it again last night on a shoot... pretty confident of it. Like Norbro advice, bring an extra cam for back-up.
    Attached Images

Happened to us with an expensive Sony CineAlta back in the day. These are very complex electronic devices, and only NASA or the military can afford to burn-in the components for an extended period
    Last edited by Nomad; 07-01-2019 at 05:52 AM.

Same problem here. My G2 worked for a day, then won't turn on. Waiting to hear back form the the seller for an exchange.

At such a low price point, it's pretty much up to the end user to stress-test the device to see if the unit is reliable. As others have said, besides doing your own QC, always have a backup even if it's a consumer cam.

Doe'snt matter if it cost a penny or $6k you still expect it work at least last 12 months. You should'nt put the responsibility of field worthiness on the customer.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Getting a replacement sent, luckily they were in stock, and it will arrive tomorrow. Crossing my fingers on this one! will update yall on progress if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Doe'snt matter if it cost a penny or $6k you still expect it work at least last 12 months. You should'nt put the responsibility of field worthiness on the customer.
    Reliability comes with a price.
    A reliable 4k high quality image with all those features doesn't cost $6K, it costs $60K.
    Blackmagic just offers a cheap-ass version of one of those cameras for 1/10th the price. Expecting it to be as reliable and high quality as the $60K versions isn't a reasonable idea. We don't expect that from any other extreme-cost-cutting versions of any other type of product, do we?
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Seeing they are in stock somewhere - did anyone received their in Europe? I ordered mine from CVP in april and they say didnt receive any cameras yet.