Thread: A possible problem with BRAW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 A possible problem with BRAW 
    I received my UMP G2 this weekend. Although this is not a normal test, I wanted to test and see how long before I get drop frames on my 256Gb CFast card without stopping it. I was recording in 4K DCI 24fps in BRAW Q0. The good news is I got through 241Gb before the URSA displayed that my card was full and no drop frames. I transferred this Huge file to my Mac SSD and tried to load it on the BRAW Player. Well, my Mac just froze-up while BRAW player loads the file. That is when I though to myself... this is a potential problem with BRAW since it generates just one file. What if I was continuously recording an event in BRAW that took over 240Gb of content in one file? Will it be able to load into an NLE and if so, how efficient will that process be? If it will freeze Resolve or any other editor, then that's got to be an issue.

Ever since recording for an extended period of time became possible, people have always been worried about this with any format. But as computers and software (and cameras, of course) advanced it became less of a concern.

I don't have an answer for you, but recording in a proprietary format that's only supported by one piece of software puts you at a disadvantage. Maybe also record traditional ProRes externally if possible?

One of the best things about CDNG is that you could make several clips out of your recording. You could literally pull the card out of the camera while recording and your footage would be fine besides maybe the last frame.

I love Blackmagic but I would never record anything longer than 5, 10 minutes with these cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    One of the best things about CDNG is that you could make several clips out of your recording. You could literally pull the card out of the camera while recording and your footage would be fine besides maybe the last frame.
    I miss CDNG.
    I will use ProRes for long recordings but it would be nice is have some feature in the future firmware OS upgrade that will allow to split BRAW files into usable chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Will it be able to load into an NLE and if so, how efficient will that process be? If it will freeze Resolve or any other editor, then that's got to be an issue.
    And you haven't tried to load it into Resolve, but wrote that post instead? Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    And you haven't tried to load it into Resolve, but wrote that post instead? Seriously
    Lol almost spat out my coffee

Me too. EYu, the issue may be more of your Mac and the player utility, than the BRaw file per SE. Like Frank said, you need to load this into Resolve, and you should really have known this, given your previous experience with BMD cameras.
    Cheers

Okay guys, I should have done that first. My bad. Yes it works on Resolve but I have a beefy box for it. I was hoping to see braw files on the player with the MacBook Pro with its top-end configuration.
    Last edited by EYu; 06-20-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Well, my Mac just froze-up...
    So no Ryzen 3. No PCIE 4. No multi M.2 setup. No Nvidia quadro.

I don't want to do the Mac vs PC thing but...

What happens when you try and play it in Resolve on your Mac?

Oh, come on, I can work with BRAW just fine on my decent iMac. The codec is not very demanding.
    There might be some sloppy programming of the player, though, maybe they never tested such long files. In Resolve, I've been working with very long files for post time-lapse.