Thread: A possible problem with BRAW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You tried to play a 241Gb file with the Mac BRAW Player. Well. It is a cinema camera.
    Adn if you film a live event for hours... you should look into "Ultrastudio" by Blackmagic
    and/or "ATEM Television Studio", "Broadcast Panels", etc.
    If you are going to handle 240 GB files... maybe it is more a problem if a MAC can handle those
    files, and les the braw player or Resolve.

"bad BRAW player design" ... because it cannot handle 240 gigs on your mac. pfffff. Iīm out.
    I am more than happy that braw exist. It is pretty new. And the player is 1.0. Maybe beta.
    Resolve can handle large files. If not... check your computer specs.

This initial post is similar to the discussion how to convert Formula One car to an offroad rig.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    You tried to play a 241Gb file with the Mac BRAW Player. Well. It is a cinema camera.
    Adn if you film a live event for hours... you should look into "Ultrastudio" by Blackmagic
    and/or "ATEM Television Studio", "Broadcast Panels", etc.
    If you are going to handle 240 GB files... maybe it is more a problem if a MAC can handle those
    files, and les the braw player or Resolve.

"bad BRAW player design" ... because it cannot handle 240 gigs on your mac. pfffff. Iīm out.
    I am more than happy that braw exist. It is pretty new. And the player is 1.0. Maybe beta.
    Resolve can handle large files. If not... check your computer specs.
    It is bad design. Software should not try to load an entire file into memory all at once. The filesize of a feature exported for delivery can be over a TB.

240gb video file is nothing. I'm currently pulling clips from a feature I colored for portfolio, the flatpass alone is like 640gb.

640gb. Do you use uncompressec avi or what? ProRes, DNxHD. 4K or 2k?

braw player is just a little tool to check some files. That is all.
    If you have a 240gigs file just use Resolve and a computer that can handle it.
    And if you think you found a bug in braw player or Resolve you can contact Blackmagic via
    email and/or forum.

Yes, Resolve is the tool you want for what you're doing.

You can download a working version for free.

You're simply using the wrong tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Yes, Resolve is the tool you want for what you're doing.

You can download a working version for free.

You're simply using the wrong tool for the job.
    No, that's not true. The BRAW player is suppose to let you inspect BRAW files. The OP is about using the BRAW player on a laptop so we can check the video by playing it back on a portable device - a laptop, so we can verify what was taken. Putting Resolve in a laptop to just check files is the wrong tool for the job. The problem with BRAW player is that it is trying to load the entire file before playback. That is bad software design and development. Only lazy programmers write code like that. The code should be smart to load and run what needs to be rendered and free up memory so it can be efficiently reused. I know what I'm saying because I am a software developer too. I've download the BRAW SDK and when I have time I will develop my own player - written the right way, unless the culprit is in the SDK itself. I want just a BRAW viewer that runs on any reasonably configured laptop, not a workstation. A reasonable configured laptop for this purpose is at least an i5, 8Gb RAM, and an Intel GPU on board. That is suppose to be the measure of a decent player. VLC for example is a well written player. If it supported BRAW playback that would be ideal but I doubt they will be interested in adding a BRAW plugin. So Geran is right and I agree with him. The BRAW player is not a viable for the purpose I seek. And don't tell me that I should used Resolve just to view and check files... that is absurd. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Good to know. I also donīt want to offend anyone. I really think you should contact BM directly.
    I did it before and it may take some time but they answer it. Also use offical forums from BM.
    The braw player is v1.0. Maybemade by "lazy programmers". Maybe there are bigger things to
    fix in Resolve. But I am sure BM is working on it. They releases the Pocket 4k, braw and a new Resolve Version
    made from scratch in 2018. I donīt think they are lazy at all. You know the braw player sucks... okay.
    But it is for free and Resolve Studio costs 300 Bucks instead of 3000 Bucks (like a couple of years ago)
    so maybe be a little be nicer. And again contact BM and I am sure they will try to fix the bug.
    braw is open SDK and for windows machines Iīve seen braw player. If I am into coding I would
    take a look into writing my own player.

LINK:
    https://youtu.be/YfJnSErTaqQ

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    Good to know. I also donīt want to offend anyone. I really think you should contact BM directly.
    I did it before and it may take some time but they answer it. Also use offical forums from BM.
    The braw player is v1.0. Maybemade by "lazy programmers". Maybe there are bigger things to
    fix in Resolve. But I am sure BM is working on it. They releases the Pocket 4k, braw and a new Resolve Version
    made from scratch in 2018. I donīt think they are lazy at all. You know the braw player sucks... okay.
    But it is for free and Resolve Studio costs 300 Bucks instead of 3000 Bucks (like a couple of years ago)
    so maybe be a little be nicer. And again contact BM and I am sure they will try to fix the bug.
    braw is open SDK and for windows machines Iīve seen braw player. If I am into coding I would
    take a look into writing my own player.

LINK:
    https://youtu.be/YfJnSErTaqQ
    Thanks for your candid reply. I will put a TODO for myself to work on writing a player using the open SDK - but unfortunately I don't have much free time so it will take a while. You're absolutely right that we all want BMD to put their time on the right projects - UMP G2 & Pocket 4K firmwares, Resolve upgrades, etc and this is probably the least for them to think of. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    No, that's not true.And don't tell me that I should used Resolve just to view and check files... that is absurd. I don't mean to offend anyone.
    Then try not calling people offering you advice with your problem "absurd".
    Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Then try not calling people offering you advice with your problem "absurd".
    Just a suggestion.
    It is absurd.

He said "that is absurd" not "you are absurd". Maybe brush up on reading a little bit. It will prevent you from getting offended at nothing in the future.

Just a suggestion.