Thread: SSD Recommendation for UMP G2 and BRAW

1. #1 SSD Recommendation for UMP G2 and BRAW 
    Has anyone used a SSD with the UMP G2 to record BRAW in 4.6K or is that unrealistic? If so, can you recommend it? What was the best quality and FPS setting you were able to record without dropping frames?
    Last edited by EYu; 06-11-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Just used 4x Samsung T5 500GB and a Wise 256GB on a big shoot I directed with two G2s. Velcro-ed on top of the XLR ports and connected with a thin cable and a 90 USB-C angle. Mind that USB-C is made to lock. You can hold the cable up and let the drive act as a pendulum it won't come off unless you specifically want it to. Recording was mainly at BRAW 5:1 (you will need to drop to 8:1 for 120fps 4.6K even with the fastest media by the way). I have used HDDScan's Verify to run each drive before the shoot just in case. Once it's a pass, the chances for any corruption are tiny and you can simply rely on these drives without any on-set offloading. Each drive was formatted in-camera the day before and no formatting was allowed on set. We just changed a T5 once on each camera, then the Wise on A cam at the very end. My DP loved he didn't have to bother about media. You can also just throw them in your bag with no worries since they don't have any mechanical parts and carry them back for editing. Once I get back at my studio I offload the drives one by one to my raid. I never had any kind of problems with these drives on the G2 or the Pocket4K before that. Personally I trust this solution much more than the complexities of offloading/changing Cfast cards onset. I have lost important shots at least in two occasions on offloading that should have worked just fine but then it didn't. My bigger shoots end up at around 2~3TB. I don't feel much about getting that amount in Cfast cards and the T5 500GB is $90 and T5 1TB $170 so... Add that on top of the stressless shooting and the lack of need for a DIT and it's a bless.

Last edited by pidulgi; 06-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks pdulgi. That's what I was looking for. Performance wise, did you find the Wyse to have faster write speed over the T5, about the same, or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Thanks pdulgi. That's what I was looking for. Performance wise, did you find the Wyse to have faster write speed over the T5, about the same, or vice versa?
    No problem happy to help always.
    I haven't tested them precisely as my computer's USB3 is limited to about 250MB/sec (both disks are faster than that).
    Also different sizes of the SSDs might have different speeds as well (for example the 256GB vs 500GB vs 1TB).

But good point you mentioned it as I did a quick test to find out both SSDs do eventually drop at the highest flavours.
    None can last for over a minute at Q0 4.6K 60fps. The T5 seems to last a bit more.
    At 3:1 4.6K 60fps the Wise dropped in less than a minute. The T5 lasted for quite a while, 3~4 minutes.
    Both can do 5:1 4.6K 60fps indefinitely (that's the format I used for the shoot above).

Now this is just a stress test at the highest settings. Those aren't my usual recording formats and I don't mind at all working with 5:1. Also if you are recording 4K/UHD datarates are lower and by doing the math Q0 and 3:1 60fps should be sustainable. Of course both disks can do 24 or 30fps at any settings and resolution. For 120fps 4.6K I had to go to 8:1 with the T5.
    I'd recommend getting a T5 to begin with and see how that suits your needs. A thin USB-C 3.1 cable is a must along with USB-C angled adaptors (links below) so the cable is not flying around in front of the monitor and so you can close the monitor to a very good degree that allows for gimbals/shoulder mount use. If you feel you need to record higher datarates, CFast, the SSD module or (bulkier) 2.5 SSDs with a USB-C interface are your friend.

Slim USB-C Cable:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB-C angles:
    https://www.amazon.com/Poyiccot-2-Pa...tronics&sr=1-2

You can see the final result in the picture below. You can in fact push the cable even deeper over the cfast/sd ports. Couch filmmakers/perfectionists might complain about the aesthetics but practically it works great.

Last edited by pidulgi; 06-12-2019 at 11:17 PM.

All points taken and thank you... also for the links. You get more for your money with the T5 too. I'll go with that first. I have a small rig mount for the SSD so I can put the T5 on it. I'm still curious to find an SSD that can do the high quality and high frame rate and resolution. I'm not even sure there's a C-Fast that is listed in the BMD list supporting Q0 4.6K at 120fps.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    All points taken and thank you... also for the links. You get more for your money with the T5 too. I'll go with that first. I have a small rig mount for the SSD so I can put the T5 on it. I'm still curious to find an SSD that can do the high quality and high frame rate and resolution. I'm not even sure there's a C-Fast that is listed in the BMD list supporting Q0 4.6K at 120fps.
    Q0 4.6K 120fps would be 440MB/sec ~ 1096MB/sec. The camera's maximum output bandwidth regardless of the media you connect is I believe around 550MB/sec following the current media speed standards. Therefore, there won't be anything ever that will allow you to continuously record that on this camera. It's important to understand the speeds involved with each compression option/resolution in order to be reasonable in expectations. The camera can do a lot of things but of course there are limitations.

By the way, if you see Blackmagic website at the camera's tech specs, they point

High Speed Frame Rates
    Blackmagic RAW 8:1
    4.6K Full - Up to 120 fps

specifying that you have to choose 8:1 for 120fps. They could have locked the other options altogether (like RED does for example). The fact that the other options are still available is because 1) BM cameras unlike RED use 3rd party media and can't predict and lock options depending on the media inserted and 2) Blackmagic likes to leave all the options unlocked for users to experiment - in some cases users might like to do burst recording for a few seconds for example. All this discussion of course is theoretical because I don't believe there is any realistic need to record Q0 4.6K 120fps as it's such a speciality use and 8:1 is certainty more than enough to guarantee a clean and detailed shot.

Standards/Media that allow more than 550MB/sec recording (for example CFx Type B with 1400MB/sec) are just out and incredibly expensive. There are also NVMe SSDs for example with speeds exceeding 3000MB/sec. Perhaps we will see them in future cameras. The controller on this one is of the current generation so even if you were to make an enclosure with NVMe SSD modules and connect it to the USB-C it would be capped to the current speeds.
    Last edited by pidulgi; 06-13-2019 at 03:59 AM.