Thread: Micro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Micro 
    I love the micro more than any camera I've owned (for over 40 years).. Now I need to upgrade to the 4K Micro to match my EVA1 (sorry, jumped ship after the introduction of the horrible mini) . Will the controller (little goat) and Small Rig cage work with the 4K/

But BMMSC4K is different camera with different sensor. Way less dynamic range, less filmic image. No in-camera recording. It only output SDI/HDMI signal.
    External shape is the same so the cage is the same.
    S.Bus and LANC pinout is the same but BMMSC4K don't have output 5V power output, so you probably need some external power for controller if it powered from that missing 5V pin.

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Micro studio only records with video, no film profile afaik.

Do you think BMD will upgrade his BMMCC with a different sensor? I still hesitate to use a BMPCC 4K or keep my BMMCC. For me, real alternative is UMPro G2 now. Of course, it's not same budget. So I wish BMD have some plan to build a new BMMCC with a better resolution sensor (and menu buttons lol). Not a 4K sensor but something between full HD and 4K will be the most. Is it realist or pure sci-fi?

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Micro studio only records with video, no film profile afaik.
    Micro studio doesn't record at all which is a big deal, by the time you add a recording monitor it is way more than P4k. It would be cool if they made a V2 with SD card even if it only recorded flavours of ProRes and BRaw that can be supported.

I haven't seen side by sides but I would think P4k would be best b bam for an eva-1 in that they both use Sony sensors from the same dual ISO family. Yes it's bigger than micro, but not much when you consider form factor with monitor.

Yes, I use a PixE with my Micro studio 4K, got this setup long before the Pocket 4K was available. While it does not record Film Log, it does produces some nicely saturated images, but you need to nail exposure and WB while shooting.

The issue with the Micro, is its small size, limits what can be done with a S16 4K sensor. The Micro was designed as a small action camera for the Micro Cinema, and the Micro Studio was designed as a fixed B cam setup for multiple live camera switching, so internal recording was not a design criteria.

The issue with the Micro cameras is its small Micro form factor, which limits sensor/camera cooling options while dealing with high frame rates. BMD’s so,Union for a better S16 4K Camera, is the Ursa Broadcast, with its larger form factor, allowed BMD to super charge the Micro Studio 4K sensor to expand DR and add Log and Raw recording in camera. While it is larger than the Micro, it otherwise checks the needed boxes, and al,owns continued use of S16 lenses, along with adding very nice B4 lens support without any adapters.

Perhaps BMD will come out with a larger cube type version of the Micro, in a 4K Camera, somewhere between the existing Micro and the Ursa Boradcast. BMD has already stated, they are not making any new cameras below a UHD/4K resolution sensor, so no new 2K type cameras.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Micro studio doesn't record at all
    I know. Should have said output. Missed the point entirely.

You're stuck with a low sensitivity, video profile image. In 422. What you use to record this is irrelevant.

It's also important to note that you can only record 4k over sdi, but can only see the menu via hdmi...this creates a hassle if you plan on using this camera in anything but a studio setting, constantly switching back and forth. It's a square peg in a round hole.

The new Pocket 4K is the closest thing we currently have to a 4k version of the BMMCC.

As there is no particular loyalty to BM in the original post, the ZCam e2 might be a good fit for the Op. same form factor, little bit bigger, built like a tank. 10 bit h.264/265 might even be a similar post workflow as the Panasonic, although it also has ProRes and raw is supposed to be coming. There is also a S35 sensor version coming this fall if can wait, twice the price though.

Thanks for the responses. I learned immediately after writing that this is not at all the same camera as the Micro - very disappointed - This sadly leaves me with the Pocket 4K as the only option for ProRes. The Micro is my favorite because it's a tiny box with an S16 sensor that you can build into anything, not so the Pocket 4K. Oh well, maybe BM will grace us with a 4K model sometime. I love being able to use my legacy S16 zooms...

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I learned immediately after writing that this is not at all the same camera as the Micro - very disappointed - This sadly leaves me with the Pocket 4K as the only option for ProRes. The Micro is my favorite because it's a tiny box with an S16 sensor that you can build into anything, not so the Pocket 4K. Oh well, maybe BM will grace us with a 4K model sometime. I love being able to use my legacy S16 zooms...
    Not telling you to jump ship from BMD but you might want to look at the Z-Cam E2. It cost more than the P4K but it's a small box that you can build into anything, and supports Prores.