Thread: Lens for a modern TV show

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Yes, they are optically the same. But the ZF are mechanical iris control, the ZE requires a smart adapter to get iris control.
    Now, are you sure it’s the Nikon that Focuses backwards, and not the Canon? From my perspective, the Nikon focus direction is correct, and the lenses that focus the other way round, got it backwards.

On a view camera, you roll the focus wheel forward to focus close (extend the bellows) and turn the wheel back towards you to focus back towards inf. This is not really intuitive, it should be the other way round, move the wheel away from you to focus on distance and towards you to focus close up!

Now that we have that cleared up, what came first, the egg or the chicken?
    Cheers
    Hahahaah. I agree with you, that's why I put the wrong in quotes hehe. I like to rack focus on Nikon lenses (most of my lenses are Nikon so I'm used to them), but everytime I have to use a cine lens or any other lens, it's like I have to always think where I have to turn the barrell.

Btw, how do the Leica-r compare to the Zeiss?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Btw, how do the Leica-r compare to the Zeiss?
    Plenty of info and tons of examples of Leica-R's over on the reduser forum. I ultimately went the Contax Zeiss route but there's always that part in the back of my mind that wonders about the Leicas. Some lovely examples in there.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...n-RED-Pictures
    Aaron Lochert

"Netflix approved" is only important if you are working on a Netflix production. Netflix also buy films that are not on the "Netflix approved" list because it was not a netflix production. (just sayin) if it is not a netflxo production netflix donīt care much about the camera. They care about the story, awards etc....

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    "Netflix approved" is only important if you are working on a Netflix production. Netflix also buy films that are not on the "Netflix approved" list because it was not a netflix production. (just sayin) if it is not a netflxo production netflix donīt care much about the camera. They care about the story, awards etc....
    I meant approved because it shoots 4k. I think they only accept 4k pieces , right?

That's for Netflix Originals. There is a ton of content on netflix that does not abide by their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    I meant approved because it shoots 4k. I think they only accept 4k pieces , right?
    Nope. I have seen documentaries done with the old Pocket camera, the micro. And also Canon C100, etc.
    Maybe they want you to scale it up to 4k. I donīt know. I donīt care much for netflix. But the "approved" list is only for ORIGINALS.
    You can use any camera you want and still sell it to Netflix (if Netflix is interested in the film they donīt care about the camera)

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, guys. The idea, for now, is to make a proof of concept. Me and my co-writer are still working on the script for the pilot (well, actually we almost have the structure for 4 or 5 seasons... lol), but the idea is to shoot it the best way we can, with the best production value possible and try to pitch it to a big streaming company like Netflix. I've mentioned Netflix because I know a few guys that would get my show seen, so it's probably better to start there.

Thanks.

Yes, I liked my Leica lenses, used them on a Leica M4/5, great image quality btw. I also like the image from the old Leica R lenses from the R4/6 SLR Camera. The downside is the higher cost of these lenses. This is where I find the Zeiss lenses as a good compromise. I also saw a Zeiss Milvus CINE lens set for sale here: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...t-(-EF-Mount-)
    Good luck with your Production David.
    Cheers

Does anyone know the real differences between the Contax Zeiss, Zeiss ZF, Zeiss Milvus and Zeiss Otus? Any particular advantage in getting any of these lines?

thanks

As the lenses developed, they share a common design, but construction and lens coatings changed and improved. The new coatings on the newer lenses like the Milvus which also had some design changes, results in a more modern look to the IQ. The Otus are an entire different design APO lens, like the SLR APO Cine lenses, again, an entire different look to,them, with improved CA, better edge to edge sharpness and less light fall of when wide open. They are also a higher resolution lens design.
    Cheers