Thread: Lens for a modern TV show

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lens for a modern TV show 
    Hey guys,

I'm finishing a script for a pilot which I want to shoot and sell it for a platform such as Netflix. I'll be using my UM4.6k which is Netflix approved of course.

About lens, I was thinking on renting Angenieux Optimos because they fit my pl adapter to my ef mount ursa mini and I love their look, but at the same time, I really wanted to nail the modern look that's becoming the norm (I particularly love the look of the show Dark).

Any suggestions of lens? Maybe the Zeiss Zf/Ze/contax?

Thanks

What characteristics exactly do you mean by "modern look"?

Most of the look and feel of Dark is set design, lighting and color grade. You could achieve the exact same look and feel with a wide variety of lenses. They also used Alexa 65.

I agree Geran, but that could be said of mostly any good looking piece. Modern usually is felt through overall sharpness and lack of optic aberrations (a lot of those aberrations make me love certain lenses ironically hehe). Comparing the S4s with the Master Primes for example, I feel the MPs are sharper but the S4 have a distinct look if that's what one's after.

I love the Angenieux look but I wonder if a set of Zeiss Zfs would look more neutral without being steryle. And of course, be optically superb... And then there's the camera. As you said, they used the Alexa 65 on Dark which will make basically any lens look good, but with the UM4.6k there are probably a few that match better than others. Let me know about your experience
    Last edited by david evans; 06-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    They also used Alexa 65.
    They also didn't use the full sensor. They shot with Ultra Primes and extracted the center out which was about 4.3K when all said and done. They basically made an LF before the LF even existed.

So the ideal answer would be Ultra Primes, of course. But of course they're not gonna work on your EF to PL adapter. Optimo 28-76 would probably be a pretty good fit, although slightly warmer in tone.

Is renting a different camera, perhaps a UMP with a PL mount not an option?
    Aaron Lochert

Hey Aaron. We're doing this pilot with minimum budget, so I'll be renting only what I don't own. I think you're right about the Optimos. I'll run some tests after the screenplay is done to see how the Angenieux performs with the UM4.6k.

Thanks

David, as for your previous question, the ZFs would be more neutral looking than a vintage lens like the Angenieux.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    David, as for your previous question, the ZFs would be more neutral looking than a vintage lens like the Angenieux.
    Cheers
    Thanks Denny. Any suggestions on which of those Zeiss Zfs are the best optically? I know the 28mm is highly regarded, but what else?

David, the 21mmm ZF is excellent, well controlled distortion. The 50mm f/2 macro is also very good, as is the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-11-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    David, the 21mmm ZF is excellent, well controlled distortion. The 50mm f/2 macro is also very good, as is the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm.
    Cheers
    Thanks Denny. Any optical differences between the ZFs and ZEs? I know that ZF will have manual iris which I prefer but will also focus the "wrong" way but they are optically equal, right?

Thanks

Yes, they are optically the same. But the ZF are mechanical iris control, the ZE requires a smart adapter to get iris control.
    Now, are you sure it’s the Nikon that Focuses backwards, and not the Canon? From my perspective, the Nikon focus direction is correct, and the lenses that focus the other way round, got it backwards.

On a view camera, you roll the focus wheel forward to focus close (extend the bellows) and turn the wheel back towards you to focus back towards inf. This is not really intuitive, it should be the other way round, move the wheel away from you to focus on distance and towards you to focus close up!

Now that we have that cleared up, what came first, the egg or the chicken?
    Cheers