Thread: Resolve UI on a big 4k screen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Resolve UI on a big 4k screen 
    Hi

My workstation doesn't have room for two screens, and using my single 1920x1080 one is, well, not ideal: the tools take up much of the screen and the footage looks TINY, particularly in the color panel.

I was thinking about getting a single 4k screen, guessing if it was big enough I could put the UI at 150% and have more room for the footage while seeing the tools correctly. But then I found a lot of threads complaining that this doesn't work well, that Resolve goes straight from 100% to 200%, and that the advanced option that forces 150% makes everythiing blurry (link link link) (I wouldn't mind too much if this only refers to the tools, but if the footage also goes blurry then it's not an option, and I don't know if that's the case).

Then I started looking for screenshots to see if getting a HUGE screen would be enough for using the UI at 100% (as I said I can't get a second screen, but if I push it I could get a single 43" 4k screen), and I'm really confused, because the screenshots I've found show the tools taking exactly as much relative space as on my 1920x1080 screen (link).

Can anybody using a single high DPI screen share some thoughts on how good the UI works?

EDIT: there's hope
    I decided it would be a good idea to search for Resolve color tutorials in youtube recorded with 4k resolution, and in most of them the tools are basically as big as in my 1080 monitor, except for a few pixels saved by having smaller fonts, but then I found this one, in which the UI looks UGLY but does leave A LOT more space for the footage. I guess that's the 100% setting?
    Last edited by Samuel H; 06-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.

It works perfectly fine for me in 5K, but then it's an iMac 27".

Thanks. The problem seems to be only in Windows, for macs they sorted this out a couple of years ago.

I work on an lg 4k 43" monitor at 100 percent scaling. It took a bit of time to get accustomed to it but I find it very nice for Resolve

Thanks!! Actually, I'm deciding between the LG 43UK6470PLC and the 43UK6200PLA, so, basically your setup

Does Resolve allow you to redistribute the space of the bottom panels in the Color tab? I mean, can you e.g. narrow the space of the color wheels and expand the width of the parade?

(really tempted to pull the trigger in any case...)

This is the monitor I have - https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-mon...hd-led-monitor

No, unfortunately, you can't adjust the space of the colour wheels and parade. But, I never feel I need to. Honestly, I love having all the screen real estate and I don't think I could work on anything smaller now.

Sold!!

Thanks a lot

A pretty interesting alternative is a superwide screen, very nice for a good overview of the timeline.

Thanks. I can't make it any wider than a 43" 16:9 UHD, so... I just bought that

Update: I got the new screen. This thing is HUGE XD

Windows scaling options are much worse than I expected. I'd like to set my general windows scaling setting to 150%, which is the one that looks best. With that, if I open Resolve, it scales to 200% and leaves very little room for viewing the footage. I can override that, but I thought the override options would include 100%, 150%, etc, and they don't: you can just set it to "whatever the application says" or "my general Windows setting". Using the latter, Resolve goes to 150% and distributes the tools and footage just as it did on my 1920x1080 monitor (bottom half for tools), which means the footage looks bigger but only because the screen is bigger, it's not using the extra resolution to leave it more room (plus, the UI looks slightly blurry, though this is much less of a problem than many people were implying in the blackmagic forum).

If I set my general setting to 100%, then resolve opens at 100% and looks great, with a third of the screen for the wheels and thumbnails and A LOT of space for the viewer. But at 100% all other apps look horribly small, so I'd have to set this every time I open Resolve. I guess I'll do it from time to time, when I'm going for a long coloring session. Maybe a couple of batch files with command line stuff would help...

It looks like something that would be easy to fix by either Microsoft (by allowing the per-app setting to specify a number instead of just system or app) or by BlackMagic (by having a setting in Resolve's preferences where I can decide on this, instead of having the software guess what would be best).