Thread: Some questions on the UM Broadcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Some questions on the UM Broadcast 
    Is the UMB camera the same size as the new UMG2 ?

I ask because I am not sure if the new G2 changed any specs size wise or not. As far as I know the UMP and the UMB are the same outer case with different internals. I am not sure if the UMG1 was much different to the UMP

How different would the UMG2 be from the UMB?

I need to purchase the UMB for my S16 lenses.

I would also like to get a G2 down the track a bit as I also have some nice S35 lenses that I would like to use and the G2 is the camera to make best use of those lenses. I would like to be able to use the S35 lenses on the UMB as well (some nice LONG S35 lenses to get a unique look on the UMB - not that often - granted, but since I have them I would like to have the choice to use them if I can).

Given all this I need to get 19mm Rods rigged up for the G2. I would like to use the same setup on the UMB.

What is the go too 19mm Rod system and follow focus unit for the G2/UMB?

Thanks for any pointers.

As far as a know both cameras have the same body, can take same baseplates and top handles, etc, as well as Pl mounts. The Ursa Mini Pro G2, and G1 for that matter also has a 2k super16 window mode that a lot of users really like. The only real need for the broadcast version is if you absolutely have to have 4k super16. To get that you drop down to about 400 ISO and maybe 12.stops dynamic range, not really worth it in my opinion given how good uprezzing is now, unless you are on a project that demands 4k original. So much is lost in final compression that most end users would never know the difference in resolution, but will see the better dynamic range. My 2 cents.

Thanks for your 2c dop16mm.

All good points. Some things in there I didnt realise - the G2 has a 2K super 16 window. Hmmm. Thing is I have some really nice s16 lenses that I would love to get 4K out of. But then I also have the mamiya 645's I have just invested in and of course they are better suited to S35 (or more).

One of the things about 4K that interests me for wildlife is being able to punch in for more "reach" if 1080p is the final target. I went through the whole trying to find the longest S16 lens I could thing and ended up buying Howies Canon 10.5-180mm - the longest factory NATIVE S16 lens I could find. So the 4K is nice to extend that reach.....at least that's my thinking at this point. But you do raise interesting aspects that warrant some thinking.

Any heads up on which 19mm rods/follow focus to go with ? I haven't a clue at this point.

Any specific reason/requirements that need 19mm rods? The Ursa Mini Shoulder baseplate Kit, and the Sinn8 use 15mm rods. I have a spare 15mm rod follow focus available, as well as a Blackmagic Ursa Mini Shoulder baseplate with 15mm rod holder. PM me for details
    Cheers

19mm was suggested to me for the big Mamiya 500mm f4.5 APO lens that I have had converted to PL mount. I also have the 300mm f2.8 APO & 200mm f2.8 APO Mamiyas that have also been converted to PL mount, although the 200mm is much smaller.

I would love to get away with 15mm if I could. I will run the idea past the guys doing the conversion work. I was planning to buy the UMB and send it to them to have them test fit and adjust all the lenses to the body, but now wondering if the G2 is not a better way forward ?? Is uprezzing that good that I could get away with the 2k window on the G2 for my S16 lenses ? Will S16 lenses resolve enough line pairs to make use of 4K res on the UMB?

I am interested in your PL to M43 adapter. and have sent you a PM about it.

Thanks
    Last edited by M&M's; 05-17-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Yes, heavy long lenses will require stiffer rods. Wooden Camera makes a nice bridge adapter going from short 15mm rods on the BM plate to 19mm rods.

To confirm your original question, the Ursa Broadcast Camera Nd the Ursa Mini Pros (1/2) use the same body. The UM 4.6 is a little different, on the right side and front lens mount. All use the same shoulder/handle kit and the BM EVF.
    Cheers

If you are putting this much effort into lenses, I would suggest taking them somewhere with a calibrated lens projector to confirm resolving power at the target sensor sizes. There is no point in speculating, you may very well find that neither set of lenses comes close to 4k at super 16 making the discussion mute. At that point it is only an issue if you have a broadcaster attached that demands a 4k camera original, whether or not it is actually resolved optically. The Planet Earth IMAX series was shot in 720p as a point of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Yes, heavy long lenses will require stiffer rods. Wooden Camera makes a nice bridge adapter going from short 15mm rods on the BM plate to 19mm rods.

To confirm your original question, the Ursa Broadcast Camera Nd the Ursa Mini Pros (1/2) use the same body. The UM 4.6 is a little different, on the right side and front lens mount. All use the same shoulder/handle kit and the BM EVF.
    Cheers
    Thanks Denny, will check that out. I'm pretty sure my paypal account is juiced up so will take that PL adapter. I am sure there will be a P4K in my life one day so nice way to fit the PL's to the P4K

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    If you are putting this much effort into lenses, I would suggest taking them somewhere with a calibrated lens projector to confirm resolving power at the target sensor sizes. There is no point in speculating, you may very well find that neither set of lenses comes close to 4k at super 16 making the discussion mute. At that point it is only an issue if you have a broadcaster attached that demands a 4k camera original, whether or not it is actually resolved optically. The Planet Earth IMAX series was shot in 720p as a point of reference.
    Thanks again for the input dop16mm.

Yes I do intend doing that. As well I want to get all the lenses fitted to the camera and adjusted so they are as good as can be in every way.

Off topic but will ask anyways..... I also have a bunch of old Nikkors that I bought and they are sitting with the S16 lenses. Is it worth having them fitted with EF mounts? I am interested in some of the Long EF glass so will most likely end up with EF mount for the UM?? (not sure if Broadcast or G2). Why do a lot of people get Nikkors fitted with EF mounts ? It seems popular.

Simple enough to put some Kippon NikF to EF adapter on a couple of them to try out and see how you like them.
    As for Medium format glass, it was designed to cover 6x6 to 6x9 image area, and they actually have less resolution (lines per mm) than 35mm format glass. So they are not really going to work well on a S16/1-inch sensor area, and they will not be anywhere near 4K in resolution.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 05-20-2019 at 11:51 PM.