Thread: UM EVF on BMPCC 4k ISSUE - Need suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 UM EVF on BMPCC 4k ISSUE - Need suggestions 
    Hey all,

So after trying to find someone else who has attempted this and coming up short
    I did a bunch of research on the best way to use my Ursa Mini EVF on my the new Blackmagic Pocket 4k camera.

I am using a V-Mount pinch (Fotga) and am powering the following equipment with the voltage stated

BMPCC4k -- 12v out from Fotga ac to camera port (not dummy battery)
    BM EVF -- 12v out from Fotga ac via ac to 4pin XLR adapter
    HDMI to SDI converter -- 5v powered via USB port from Fotga into mini USB port on converter

The HDMI cable (works for my computer / monitor currently) is going out of my camera into the converter which also has the SDI out going to the Viewfinder.

I get an image, and the feedback looks pretty good (false color, Safe crop, etc) HOWEVER I am getting these nasty diagonal lines throughout the frame (see pic)

IMG_8013.jpg

Also the timecode seems funky but I have not rigged it all up in a way where I have attempted to shoot with it as these diagonal lines are sorta a deal breaker if I can't figure out how to get rid of them.

I have tried all the settings in the camera's menu.

Any thoughts? Do you think it is the HDMI to SDI converter or is it a power thing or is is simply because these 2 things were not meant to be paired together?
    I know that Wooden Camera made a conversion kit so this EVF could be used with other NON BM cameras and my understanding of that kit was it simply created a better mount solution and didn't change any of the actual internal design of the device.

Anyway any thoughts would be very welcome. Thx!

Looks like either the camera or EVF has “Zebra” exposure tool turned on. Go into both the camera and EVF menu and disable Zebras, or set them to 90 to show when the camera is clipping its image.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Looks like either the camera or EVF has “Zebra” exposure tool turned on. Go into both the camera and EVF menu and disable Zebras, or set them to 90 to show when the camera is clipping its image.
    Cheers
    I too thought that (and I will double check tomorrow) But I don't think that is the issue, I know that on the camera Zebra was turned off and I did press all of the buttons on the EVF and that didn't rectify anything...
    I did not go into the EVF menu however which I can try tomorrow (and also see if I am running the latest EVF firmware)... I do hope that is the issue as that would be pretty great to use this EVF for both setups!

QUESTION -- when you look closely at the photo posted you can see that the black stripes go solidly through even the darkest parts of the image (shadows and black items) is it possible that a zebra even on the lowest setting would behave like that?

Yes, that what they do, so you can see them. You can set the EVF function buttons in the EVF menu, which you activate by holding the back and middle button down at the same time.
    Cheers