Thread: DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and Da Vinci Resolve 15.3

1. #1 DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and Da Vinci Resolve 15.3 
    I have been using Da Vinci Resolve for years now but my setup was just with a dual monitor. For reference, I use a different monitor that is not connected to my Resolve computer.

Recently, I bought a DeckLink mini-monitor 4K and installed it. My 2 workstation monitors are still connected to a graphics card as before. But now I have the reference monitor connected to the DeckLink via HMDI.

Here are my questions:
    (1) I am unable to access the reference monitor via Windows 10 OS. It only comes on when I'm in Resolve playback mode. Is this normal? If not, what am I doing wrong?

(2) How do I calibrate the reference monitor if I can only access it via Resolve? I have Spyder 5 which I use to calibrate the dual monitors attached to the GPU card. Is there other way to calibrate the reference monitor connected to the DeckLink?

(3) Should I calibrate the dual monitors to match the reference monitor or is it the other way around?

I previously posted this in the BMD forum but so far no one has answered it. I'm assuming this is pretty common.

Thanks!

You plug the reference monitor in to both the computer and the decklink. Switch inputs to the decklink when you move to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    You plug the reference monitor in to both the computer and the decklink. Switch inputs to the decklink when you move to resolve.
    Sorry to ask such a Noob question about DeckLink and I thought of doing what you suggest. So to calibrate the monitor you have it switch to the computer instead of via DeckLink. Will that calibrate the monitor correctly for output coming from the DeckLink?

Calibration of the monitor would come from the controls on the monitor itself. I have also heard of displays that have an method to interface so they are calibrated at the hardware level but that’s beyond my knowledge.

You can also calibrate it via the desktop but I’m not sure those settings carry over from different inputs.

The reason you use the decklink is to bypass the OS sending any unwanted color information to the monitor, among other things.

To calibrate the monitor properly, you want to do it connected to the decklink and use a software like Calman. During the process, the program will interface with you calibrator and also connect to Resolve via your local IP address. Resolve will then display a color pattern generator and Calman will make a 3D Cube LUT or whatever you need for your monitor. Then it's just a matter of if your monitor can accept 3D LUTs, or you can set the LUT in Resolve's color management settings to send to your video monitor.

There a lot of tutorials out there that will guide you through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    The reason you use the decklink is to bypass the OS sending any unwanted color information to the monitor, among other things.

To calibrate the monitor properly, you want to do it connected to the decklink and use a software like Calman. During the process, the program will interface with you calibrator and also connect to Resolve via your local IP address. Resolve will then display a color pattern generator and Calman will make a 3D Cube LUT or whatever you need for your monitor. Then it's just a matter of if your monitor can accept 3D LUTs, or you can set the LUT in Resolve's color management settings to send to your video monitor.

There a lot of tutorials out there that will guide you through the process.
    Thanks Darren. I think what you said about DeckLink and bypassing the OS is correct so I would not want to calibrate via the OS. I will look into the Calman software. I'm not sure if it will recognize the DeckLink or works with Resolve but from what you said that may be the way to do it. If you have a tutorial that you recommend I watch, appreciate if you can share the link. Again, thanks.