Thread: B&W LUT recommendation

1. #1 B&W LUT recommendation 
    Howdy,

I'd like to shoot some black and white footage with my Pocket 4k and I was wondering if you folks have recommendations for a good monitoring LUT. It seems like a lot of grayscale "looks" don't give you the deep contrast of the true black and white film stocks.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks so much.

One of the first things I did with the Pocket 4K was set up and load a B&W monitoring LUT. I made it in Resolve off a test image shot in daylight.

But therein lied the problem with a one-time B&W LUT - since you're transforming FILM curve footage, the blacks are often 'variable', ie: a bright scene will have very lifted blacks (20IRE perhaps) and a low-light scene will have lower blacks (10IRE perhaps). So the LUT often seems to be too contrasty or just crushing low-light detail into nothing, or too light in bright scenes.

Eventually I just made a de-saturated version of the extended Video LUT and then deferred the final look to post on clip-by-clip and black level by black level basis.

You could make one in resolve. Several depending on the exposure of the scene.

Filmconvert got some good LUTS. You can export the filmvonvert grades as luts via After Effects.

Black and White done by desaturating the image, and adjusting contrast, will give a different image from what a film emulsion like tri x would give. The luma response of a film emulsion responds differently to different colors, affecting where they fall in a greyscale. The luma response of the digital sensor will not necessarily match that of any given B&W film emulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmaVideo View Post
    Black and White done by desaturating the image, and adjusting contrast, will give a different image from what a film emulsion like tri x would give. The luma response of a film emulsion responds differently to different colors, affecting where they fall in a greyscale. The luma response of the digital sensor will not necessarily match that of any given B&W film emulsion.
    Super interesting. Would an orange or yellow filter make even marginal progress toward that look?
    I'm very much a novice in the science of this stuff, so I appreciate the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by adcalvetti View Post
    Super interesting. Would an orange or yellow filter make even marginal progress toward that look?
    I'm very much a novice in the science of this stuff, so I appreciate the insight.
    PocketLUTs has a decent ‘noir’ LUT, but as someone else said you can export the Filmconvert filmstocks as LUTs too.

Do you mean a filter in-camera? Yes, depending on what you’re shooting, a red, orange, green, blue or yellow filter will affect the contrast in certain ways to your liking. You can Google and find charts that show how they affect contrast towards certain colours you’re capturing with them.