Thread: Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Discontinued, URSA Mini Pro G2 Now Shipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Discontinued, URSA Mini Pro G2 Now Shipping 
    BMCuser Sponsor
    The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K has been formally discontinued by Blackmagic.

The new URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 has begun shipping and is the direct replacement for the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K camera.

The HandGrip is an optional accessory for the G2 for $199.

The URSA Mini Pro 4K is still available for $2995.

BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI PRO 4.6K G2 - CINEURSAMUPRO46KG2 $5995

BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI HANDGRIP BMURSACA/HGRIP $199

BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI PRO MIC MOUNT CINEURSASHSMC $135

BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI SSD RECORDER CINEURSASHMSSD $395

SKB BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI CASE 3I-221312BKU $359.99

Your site shows 3-5 days for orders, is this accurate?

I'm skipping the G2. Sure there is improvement but there is not enough of a sensor leap from the original UM4.6k. I feel 8k large format should be the gold standard now and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I'm skipping the G2. Sure there is improvement but there is not enough of a sensor leap from the original UM4.6k. I feel 8k large format should be the gold standard now and the future.
    If you are filming anything with good motion (choreography for example) the G2 is king and it just looks like the cameras "up there". This applies to absolutely every scene - something that can't be just seen with comparing screenshots. The motion is magical. I suspect that BM might be designing some higher resolution camera, perhaps large format, but that could take quite a while from development to announcement to delivery etc. If the camera was just around the corner for summer release for example they would not bother with the G2 - I think we are looking deep into 2020 for actual delivery and that's all speculation. Also, if it's lets say 8K it would probably be 30fps or 60fps at 8K. The readout time will get back to 15ms for full sensor readout and it will only reduce for windowed modes loosing all this great benefit the G2 gives. Another issue with higher resolutions is when you don't really need it (space and processing power wise) but can't film lower resolution unless severely windowed or film in downscaled ProRes (which still has the full sensor readout speed). RED users know this very well that's why they are all over Gemini - 5K is perfectly great. I also don't see how the DR could increase from the 4.6K sensor - it's up there already. Perhaps a DUAL ISO mode is the biggest feature although the G2 is pretty great already at ISO1600/3200.
    Long story short, I think the G2 is wrongly underestimated as a "G1 with higher frame rates" but it's much more than that. Of course if it's worth upgrading is up to the individual.

I knew what the G2 strength is but the sensor is not next gen. Dual ISO is the way to go and for a one man band like myself who don't carry enough lights that is critical. Eventually all techs conform to a standard so will BMD and they will not want to be left behind. 8k and large format, dual ISO, the G2 isn't but I'm sure in the near future the next camera will get there.

Filmtools had a G2 in stock last week.

Question, and I dont know if its already been answered or not but I rarely come here. Does the G2 have a dual ISO like the pocket or is it the same as the G1 just with some added goodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
    Filmtools had a G2 in stock last week.

Question, and I dont know if its already been answered or not but I rarely come here. Does the G2 have a dual ISO like the pocket or is it the same as the G1 just with some added goodies?
    Same sensor, so it's the same great image from their dual channel sensor and NOT a dual ISO.

Personally I'll take the much larger DR of this sensor family over dual ISO.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Same sensor, so it's the same great image from their dual channel sensor and NOT a dual ISO.

JB
    Likewise. Some of my favorite films still have very noticeable noise (not film grain) in shots, and it didn't bother me one bit. Other features shot on film sometimes had really chunky grain and that also didn't bother me. I prefer the added DR over more flexible iso performance.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post

JB
    I agree, I was only curious if it was a new sensor/ even better low light.

Why not have both better DR and dual ISO?

I won't say it now but if by this time next year BMD brings out a G3 using the same 4.6k sensor I won't be alone in saying they are flogging a dead horse. That is why I'm confident a next gen sensor will likely appear in their next flagship camera.