Thread: Ursa Mini Pro G2 Issues / Problems so far

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa Mini Pro G2 Issues / Problems so far 
    I received my UMP G2 a couple of weeks ago and I love it, but I have some issues with it that I hope will be solved with firmware updates.

When monitoring audio through a headphone jack, you hear like crackling and popping sounds. This happens also when you playback the footage in camera. The crackling sound is heard both in the headphones and through the SDI out to a monitor. When you play the camera file in DaVinci however, it sounds clean.

Occasionally, when playing back a clip in camera, the scrub bar disappears. Turning off the camera and turning it back on, seems to fix the bug.

One more thing that I have noticed happens with the G2. There have been a couple instances where I have turned off the power switch on the camera, and it stayed powered on. I have to remove the battery to make it turn off. This is an intermittent problem and doesn't happen always though, but it's annoying when it does.

I reported this to tech support, and I'm still waiting for them to tell me how to solve these issues.

Any idea if there is still a issue with the red channel being blown out for scenes with tail lights ect?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter917 View Post
    Any idea if there is still a issue with the red channel being blown out for scenes with tail lights ect?

That was something that was to do with the P4K, not G2 or G1

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Peter917 View Post
    The image on the G2 is stunning. The red's never clipped on the G1 and 4.6k, bud did look a little orange-ish/funky in the past, but that was corrected with Color Science Ver4. I've noticed that when using any of Blackmagic's LUTs, the colors don't look as great, so I use a modified Alexa LUT, and then the colors are gorgeous.

By the way, the saturation on red colored objects on the Arri Alexa have always looked a little too saturated over other colors. Maybe accepting this drawback is how the Alexa achieves such great skin tones. There is no perfect image on a any digital camera. Even motion picture film has its plus and minuses.

Even though I've had a couple of minor issues with the G2, I was expecting it, as I have one of the first production cameras to come off the assembly line. The minor issues, that I'm sure will be corrected with firmware update, in no way have affected the images coming off this beast. I don't think Blackmagic has done a good enough job in marketing this new G2. People think that the improvements are minimal over G1, but they are massive. IMHO.

Good to know, Maybe someone mis labeled because I saw a short film with the 4.6k and horrible red highlight clipping. How is the FPN? That is the bigest thing I am worried about as I read reports of that even at iso 800

Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    I received my UMP G2 a couple of weeks ago and I love it, but I have some issues with it that I hope will be solved with firmware updates.

When monitoring audio through a headphone jack, you hear like crackling and popping sounds. This happens also when you playback the footage in camera. The crackling sound is heard both in the headphones and through the SDI out to a monitor. When you play the camera file in DaVinci however, it sounds clean.

Occasionally, when playing back a clip in camera, the scrub bar disappears. Turning off the camera and turning it back on, seems to fix the bug.

One more thing that I have noticed happens with the G2. There have been a couple instances where I have turned off the power switch on the camera, and it stayed powered on. I have to remove the battery to make it turn off. This is an intermittent problem and doesn't happen always though, but it's annoying when it does.

I reported this to tech support, and I'm still waiting for them to tell me how to solve these issues.
    Welcome to being a BM alpha tester.

Good luck with getting things fixed.

I need to shut my car off.

Let me go pull the battery.

Even Fiat can do better than that.

Lol someone is salty.

Or someone doesn't want to pay $6k for a camera that's in alpha/beta testing? I don't have a large experience with all of the camera makers, but there's this feel that most of the companies except Arri do this(as in RED, BM, Kinefinity). And this is also found in games, you pay to participate in alpha/beta access? I mean..get your head straight. If you try to make this acceptable for us you're on the wrong side buddy. Let's say you're a house builder, you don't want a crane or bulldozer, that you freshly bought, and it's an improved version of the same model from last year, to start running on huge fuel consumption, or it's handles, gearshift to barely move when you start using it, in its normal usage. You want that to function as its supposed to, otherwise, you miss the time schedule, you don't met the required quality for you build etc. I don't know when or why this type of company behavior became acceptable, but it shouldn't be.

Just to give an update. I've heard back from BMD tech support on Friday, and they said they are looking into my issues. I hope they can fix it, mainly, the audio monitoring problem. Now the sounds are more pronounced and have weird electronic sounds like R2D2 took over my camera.

I'm scared to use the camera on a job, and do playback for a client, and then having to explain to them, that the weird sounds they are hearing are not on the actual file. Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mikus View Post
    Or someone doesn't want to pay $6k for a camera that's in alpha/beta testing?
    Don't buy one then. Problem solved. It's not like Blackmagic is famous for reliable cameras. What are they famous for? Oh riiiight...the cheapest cameras.
    I don't have a large experience with all of the camera makers, but there's this feel that most of the companies except Arri do this(as in RED, BM, Kinefinity).
    So rent an Alexa. There's a reason Arri equipment costs so much more than other manufacturers.
    You want that to function as its supposed to, otherwise, you miss the time schedule, you don't met the required quality for you build etc. I don't know when or why this type of company behavior became acceptable, but it shouldn't be.
    You're complaining about a product you don't own in the low budget price range because some units have reliability issues. Do you go to the dollar store and complain to the other shoppers that the paper towels aren't as strong as the ones from Bounty?