Thread: Pocket 4k Power assignment advice needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Pocket 4k Power assignment advice needed 
    Hey all!

So I want to power the BMP4k via the cameras 12v side port (with a battery in the camera to ensure no power disruption if needing to switch rigs)
    I also want to power the BM Ursa Mini EVF (12v) and a HDMI to SDI converter (5v)

all from this Fotga pinch...

https://www.amazon.com/DP500III-Unin...r=8-4-fkmrnull

It has 1x 14.8v Lemo, 1x 5v USB, 1x 5v DC, 1x 12v DC, 1x 8v DC ports
    The EVF needs the 12v port (I believe) and I have 2 options to power the HDMI to SDI (5v) converter but what would then be the best way to power the camera through the side port?
    Would the 8v (5A) be enough (I know it is via Dummy Battery but I can't find that info re: this 12v port) and/or would the 14.8v LEMO be too much ? (if so would the 14.8v also be too much for the EVF?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images

Hey! I`m following this thread. I have the pocket 4k and the ursa viewfinder as well. Are you using the wooden camera mod for the viewfinder?

For the EVF, provide only 12V 5%

14.8V into the 12V input of the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K is OK.

V-Mount for the BMPCC4K:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449166-REG

D-Tap to 5v USB with D-Tap pass through:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1188613-REG

Quote Originally Posted by ther00ts1983 View Post
    Hey! I`m following this thread. I have the pocket 4k and the ursa viewfinder as well. Are you using the wooden camera mod for the viewfinder?
    No I am not... I am actually waiting for my BMP4k to arrive (should be today or tomorrow) but I think I have figured out a way to mount it on the Ttla cage which "should" work.
    The Wooden Camera mod is no longer in production and seemingly no one has them... Also it is quite expensive and you have to completely dissect your viewfinder and the only advantage it gives you is a different way to mount it...
    In our case we would still need to convert the HDMI to SDI which means we still need another device and ways to power both devices... So while the Mod at first seemed like the way I wanted to go (again if it were available) I am now going to try to make it work with it's existing form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    For the EVF, provide only 12V 5%

14.8V into the 12V input of the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K is OK.
    Thanks for the reply Kristian! So you think that 14.8v will still be "safe" for the power port on the side?
    The pinch I have also has an 8v which I won't be using... would that be "enough" for the camera to the side port?

What I don't want to do is create one of these dreaded "electrical loops" that I have been reading about where some people have been shorting out their HDMI ports by powering their monitors and camera from the same power source (unregulated power source)

Quote Originally Posted by terraform View Post
    No I am not... I am actually waiting for my BMP4k to arrive (should be today or tomorrow) but I think I have figured out a way to mount it on the Ttla cage which "should" work.
    The Wooden Camera mod is no longer in production and seemingly no one has them... Also it is quite expensive and you have to completely dissect your viewfinder and the only advantage it gives you is a different way to mount it...
    In our case we would still need to convert the HDMI to SDI which means we still need another device and ways to power both devices... So while the Mod at first seemed like the way I wanted to go (again if it were available) I am now going to try to make it work with it's existing form factor.
    Yup. There are ways of mounting the viewfinder on top of the cage. I have the SmallRig full cage.

Quote Originally Posted by ther00ts1983 View Post
    Yup. There are ways of mounting the viewfinder on top of the cage. I have the SmallRig full cage.
    Do you happen to have any photos of your setup? I am curious how you have solved this issue.

Thanks for the reply Kristian! So you think that 14.8v will still be "safe" for the power port on the side?
    The pinch I have also has an 8v which I won't be using... would that be "enough" for the camera to the side port?
    No, 8V will not be enough for the side port. If the 8V output is regulated, then your option is to remove the battery door and go in via a dummy LP-E6 battery using the battery slot.

This is just an example. I would rather use my external monitor, but this is doable. Power the camera and viewfinder by d-tap on the battery and battery plate and the converter by usb (on the other side of my battery). IMG_5043.jpgIMG_5036.jpgIMG_0586.jpgIMG_5421.jpg
    Do you happen to have any photos of your setup? I am curious how you have solved this issue.