Thread: UMP G2 Received

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guess B&H is either adding one, or their listing is incorrect.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Robert John View Post
    It didn't come with a side handle? On B&H site it is listed as coming with one.
    No side handle handgrip 100%. The box is skinnier. B&H made a mistake. If you look at Blackmagic's product page, they list the handgrip as a $199 option.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    I just tested the XLR on the G2 with my Sanken CS-3e and I can confirm that there appears to be no delay in the headphone monitoring. This is a big deal and worth the upgrade alone, Hahaha. The delay on my G1 drove me crazy.
    Good news and quite surprising. If there’s no latency at all, perhaps they changed the headphone output to monitor the actual mic inputs?

anyone seen any tests with the G2?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Good news and quite surprising. If there’s no latency at all, perhaps they changed the headphone output to monitor the actual mic inputs?
    Well after more tests, the G2 still has a little delay on headphone monitoring. A little less than G1 though. I guess I didn't notice too much because I was using Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Here is a frame grab of a quick test I shot today of a friend. They both were shot at the same exposure on the same Canon 24-70mm 2.8 MkII lens.

g1 vs G2 test.jpg

That's a significant improvement wow.

All i'm seeing is an apparent exposure difference. I don't see any "significant improvement" colourwise there.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    All i'm seeing is an apparent exposure difference. I don't see any "significant improvement" colourwise there.
    Both cameras are at identical settings, same f stop, iso, etc. Copy and paste same grade. The new camera seems a little brighter, there's also a slight color difference. The new camera has a little better color. A tad less muddy, a little easier to grade. The moire however is the same. I'm going to have to swap my Rawlite OLPF from my other G1 to the G2. I think the biggest difference will be the motion cadence from the faster scan rate. I've done some motion tests, but need to do more and post. It really looks closer to Alexa when you are handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    Both cameras are at identical settings, same f stop, iso, etc. Copy and paste same grade. The new camera seems a little brighter, there's also a slight color difference. The new camera has a little better color. A tad less muddy, a little easier to grade. The moire however is the same. I'm going to have to swap my Rawlite OLPF from my other G1 to the G2. I think the biggest difference will be the motion cadence from the faster scan rate. I've done some motion tests, but need to do more and post. It really looks closer to Alexa when you are handheld.
    Yeh I didn't doubt the settings were the same. Just that the g2 exposes it brighter for whatever reason. But to say its a major improvement (Geran's statement) is quite a stretch IMO. I could match those 2 images in 10 seconds. I'd def be interested in seeing some handheld (shoulder mounted proper handheld or easyrig ) footage showing the difference in motion. Thanks so far for all the info you have shared.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

It's not just "brighter". There are so many little differences that are easily overlooked that I can tell will make footage so much easier to grade. And that's just looking at this still. Can't wait to see more comparisons.