Thread: UMP G2 Received

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 UMP G2 Received 
    I just picked up my UMP G2 from my local dealer in Miami. The box is a little smaller. The camera feels slightly heavier than before. The camera no longer comes with the side handle. It's not in the box. I'm going to be testing soon and post some footage.

A few quick observations. The G2 now has Neutrik XLR connectors, the older G1 had Amphenol. The LCD is better quality, much better color, contrast and viewing angles than G1.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    A few quick observations. The G2 now has Neutrik XLR connectors, the older G1 had Amphenol. The LCD is better quality, much better color, contrast and viewing angles than G1.

Good to know. Keep us posted, would love to know more about the hardware and see some shots out of it besides what's out there already. I'm tempted to buy one and use it as our A cam for fitness videos. I'm hoping that slow motion will be buttery smooth.

Thank you for posting... all sounding pretty good indeed

I just tested the XLR on the G2 with my Sanken CS-3e and I can confirm that there appears to be no delay in the headphone monitoring. This is a big deal and worth the upgrade alone, Hahaha. The delay on my G1 drove me crazy.

The preamps are louder, but not sure if they have less noise than before. The sound on the G2 appears a little more sibilant than the G1, you notice the "S" a little more in speech. Don't think that the new preamps will replace recording on an external Sound Devices, but need to do more tests.

I just tested the XLR on the G2 with my Sanken CS-3e and I can confirm that there appears to be no delay in the headphone monitoring. This is a big deal and worth the upgrade alone, Hahaha. The delay on my G1 drove me crazy.

The preamps are louder, but not sure if they have less noise than before. The sound on the G2 appears a little more sibilant than the G1, you notice the "S" a little more in speech. Don't think that the new preamps will replace recording on an external Sound Devices, but need to do more tests.
    Thank you again Will, much appreciated... when you get the chance could you please test for FPN? Low light?

And maybe test the skew / rolling shutter with fast pans, vs the G1 if you get a chance :-) thanks

Wasn't that delay addressed in firmware update 4.6 or so? I could swear I have no delay in either my UM46K nor UMP G1

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Niessner View Post
    Wasn't that delay addressed in firmware update 4.6 or so? I could swear I have no delay in either my UM46K nor UMP G1
    You're lucky Robert, because I have two G1 cameras and they both have a delay in the headphone monitoring. I just tested them.

I just picked up my UMP G2 from my local dealer in Miami. The box is a little smaller. The camera feels slightly heavier than before. The camera no longer comes with the side handle. It's not in the box. I'm going to be testing soon and post some footage.
    It didn't come with a side handle? On B&H site it is listed as coming with one.