Thread: Who wants to see the Pocket 4K in a different form factor?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Me. Since the day it was revealed, I thought it was pretty ugly. Especially considering the other cameras and general good looks that BMD has.

I also wish that some of the more puzzling buttons were programmable. How often do y'all use the Stills button? Auto iris?

I'd rather they let us program modes, or even come pre-programmed with modes. Vloggers and pure hobbyists might use this stuff, but it's completely useless to me. Honestly, I would be surprised if anyone uses the Stills button. I want it replaced/made programmable on the UMP, too.

I do want it to come with what you currently get with the Pocket 4K, which includes a display (can be a folding display) or an EVF, HDMI or SDI (preferred) port, mini XLR (at least 1), a few accessible buttons (WB, ISO, programmable user buttons), a good compartment to hold a couple of Canon or Sony batteries that can drive it for a couple of hours, and external power port. All this (except the EVF) currently exist in one form or another on the Pocket 4K for $1300 so I think it is attainable. A big plus would be built-in ND filters and would be okay to pay up to $1500 for something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisA View Post

How often do y'all use the Stills button? Auto iris?
    Not the auto iris, but I use the stills button quite a lot on sets, and also use the feature for my casting and location jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post

No one buys camcorders. I haven't seen one of those in the wild in almost a decade. You would get clowned if you pulled out a camcorder.
    Just worked a large international project, where not only did we have a camcorder, but used a VHS-C as the b cam to the Red Helium. I've used quite a few of the pro camcorders for various docs in the last couple years as well, from DVX-200 to some of the Sony PXW series. I use a Panasonic F2500 for a lot of pre-production work for networks which is pretty much a camcorder, and the checks keep coming.

A lot of people here sound like they really want a GH5 kit.

I am quite happy with the form factor of the PCC4k. I have it in a 8sinn half cage with the scorpio handle on the left side mounted. The whole thing - together with additional stuff - fits nicely into my Companion Rucksack. More often I just let the UM46k in its huge Sachtler doctor bag in the studio and just go with the small footprint of the PCC4k. Its also great that people think it is a photo camera and act much more naturally when I film them.

What I really would like to see in a PCC4k PRO would be internal NDs, a locking MFT mount (if possible), SDI instead of HDMI, bigger battery option (like the Canon BP-A30 14.4V 48Wh) and back lit buttons. And better internal audio. And a brighter display.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
    A lot of people here sound like they really want a GH5 kit.
    I think not. What made you come to that conclusion? I have a GH5 and that's a DSLR form factor camera. That's not what most folks here are wanting for a cine camera. Just a couple who wants a stealthy cam or something to that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisA View Post
    I also wish that some of the more puzzling buttons were programmable. How often do y'all use the Stills button? Auto iris?
    Stills I don't use, but I've gotten a good workout for the auto iris/focus buttons in the last week as I've been doing some out-and-about solo vlog style videos.

I dont. Only if its a new sensor that looks more organic and has more dr.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
    Just worked a large international project, where not only did we have a camcorder, but used a VHS-C as the b cam to the Red Helium. I've used quite a few of the pro camcorders for various docs in the last couple years as well, from DVX-200 to some of the Sony PXW series. I use a Panasonic F2500 for a lot of pre-production work for networks which is pretty much a camcorder, and the checks keep coming.
    Why would I or the majority of the BMPCC 4k target market want to look like we are doing preproduction work for a network when we are on a family vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I'm paying for a cinema camera and expect it to look like one.
    You are NOT "paying for a cinema camera". $1,300 is a prosumer camera. It doesn't matter what marketing is printed on the side of the box. I assure you there are more prosumers playing around with Blackmagic pocket cameras than there are Hollywood studios using them as A cameras. If prosumers weren't snatching up Blackmagic pocket cameras at a good clip they wouldn't be making them or they would cost a lot more. You should be happy prosumers are buying them.

Also if you can't go out, get a small business loan, buy a URSA mini pro, and pay back the loan within a year you probably aren't as much of a big shot Hollywood cinematographer as you think. $5,000 for a seasoned pro is nothing. Since college I've never had a job that didn't require way more than a $5,000 investment.

Amateurs like you would cry if you saw my annual marketing budget. I wish all I had to do to silence the doubters is buy a $5,000 camera. If you a fretting over that you are not a pro. I have to spend thousands just to find out what my clients and potential clients want. If they walked in and told me to my face I would get their business if I bought one $5,000 camera I would have had that camera in hand within 24 hrs. To be honest with you this has nothing to do with cinematography. I see this type of thing in my day job all the time. People drop the ball all the time on simple basic relatively cheap marketing because they have a chip on their shoulder or they are just incompetent. I'm not mad though. I LOVE IT! It makes my job soooo much easier. You said it yourself. Your town is full of jokers with prosumer cameras right? Well guess what? I would rent a damn Alexa and show up with that. Or rent a Red or Canon C series. Whatever the budget allowed.

URSA mini pro 4.6K is $420 for 7 day rental... all tax deductible. Can't afford that? You may have to start being honest with yourself about your "pro" bona fides.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    I dont. Only if its a new sensor that looks more organic and has more dr.
    Good point. If they made a brain style PCC4K I still wouldn't buy it. The color science of the UMP is better.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Why would I or the majority of the BMPCC 4k target market want to look like we are doing preproduction work for a network when we are on a family vacation?
    That was a response to the person that said comcorders were old news and hadn't seen one for years and would be clowned for showing up with one. Cameras are a tool, I grab what's useful or being paid to shoot on. The pocket stripped down is a useful and discreet tool.