Thread: Who wants to see the Pocket 4K in a different form factor?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Who wants to see the Pocket 4K in a different form factor? 
    I like what BMD did with the Pocket 4K except that DSLR look and feel. I am hoping that they will come up with their next Pocket 4K II in a housing that is more like a small URSA Mini or something boxy, even with the existing guts, possibly replacing the HDMI with an SDI but I'm so content with what it has, just need a new housing. It will probably have a bit more space to house 2 Sony NP-FW50 or Canon LP batteries that last hours. Same configuration, probably with flip out screen instead, 1 mini XLR, the same MFT mount and sensor will be just all fine.

If you agree, maybe we should sound off and let the BMD designers know. Oh, and they should drop the "Pocket" and just call it a 4K cinema camera.

EDIT: Oh, keep the price the same.
    Last edited by EYu; 04-18-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Oh, and they should drop the "Pocket" and just call it a 4K cinema camera.
    You are basically talking about a small Ursa version, the affordable 'Pocket' line is fine in a DSLR like shape imo.

I think the Pocket is just way too wide. It's really akward on the shoulder, being wider then even most big cinema cameras and doesn't fit easily on most gimbals that are not open on one side.
    I'd LOVE to see a version without screen thats longer than wide.

That's what I'm waiting for, may eventually bite for the current one, once readily available, I would go for the no screen box if cheaper, but I think there is room at the $3k price point, replace the old mini 4k with something smaller. Maybe 2 versions, one for a Fairchild sensor that is a closer match to the G2 as well as the dual ISO current one for those that need it.

If they made it in a different form factor I imagine it would be a Micro 2.0, probably a little bigger. I adore the BMMCC. It's amazing what they fit into that little box.

That would be great, and as much as I love the new pocket, I wish it had a more of a camcorder shape, not a DSLR shaped body. Modular, with different I/O options, smart detachable and repositionable side handle....kinda like the Kinifinity bodies but smaller. That would be so so great.

P4K for me is the best cam I have ever used IQ wise (and the cheapest one also). But form factor is pain in the a$$. I would pay twice for better shape, second mini XLR and better battery solution. Hope that grip will solve this, will see. The rest can be the same. Oh, internal NDs would be awesome but since I have solution for it, it is not priority.

So ir you listen BM, Ursa micro would me cool.

I completely agree with the general sentiment here. The P4k is an excellent camera, but I'm bummed by the DSLR form factor... a magnesium body would have been welcome as well. Here's hoping for an Ursa Micro that looks more like a Kinefinity Mavo than a GH5. :-)

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    You are basically talking about a small Ursa version, the affordable 'Pocket' line is fine in a DSLR like shape imo.
    It doesn't matter whether they make it a small URSA version or keep it as an affordable cinema line. The DSLR form factor does not fit right for videography/cinematography especially if you start looking at rigging (which most people do) to be more for cinema-like cameras. I still want BMD to have the affordable 4K like they are doing with the pocket, just more of a cinema/movie/cam whatever camera form factor. They can keep everything that they do have on the Pocket 4K to keep it affordable including a display, maybe add variable ND and larger battery compartment, keep it at the $1300-$1500 price level and that will do it. I'm even good with an MFT mount if that calls to keep cost down.

Some form factors of other cameras as ideas for BMD that I think will be suitable for the V-next pocket 4K...

cc-ff.jpg

BMD, if you're reading, I'm waiting for it.
    Last edited by EYu; 04-18-2019 at 02:49 PM.

I personally like the form factor. Since it looks more like a still camera it becomes more "stealthy" and easy to shoot broll without a sideways glance. I wouldn't mind a more camcorder styling but that would fall into a different shooting style. That being said, I don't rig up the pocket either and keep it stripped down and simple. For larger more complex shoots I have the UMP.