Thread: Who wants to see the Pocket 4K in a different form factor?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    They should do a BMPCC4k part duex, in a different form factor, and a flip out screen ... not because I want one, but just so people will stop complaining about it not having a flip out screen =)

Honeslty I like the DLSR look, because you can use it anywhere, especially where your not supposed to be "filming" and no one ever asks questions.

That was one of the features of the original Pocket Camera, to be unobtrusive and blend in.
    Cheers

The original pocket camera with a pancake is probably the most innocent looking sleeper cam for stealing shots where you shouldn't It almost could pass for a phone.

The Pocket 4K looks like a DSLR/Mirrorless camera. You'll still get kicked out of a lot of places with that, but at least you won't get a fine.

A brain form factor with accessories could potentially get you in legal trouble depending on the local.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 04-23-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weui View Post
    I think the Pocket is just way too wide. It's really akward on the shoulder, being wider then even most big cinema cameras and doesn't fit easily on most gimbals that are not open on one side.
    I'd LOVE to see a version without screen thats longer than wide.
    My biggest complaint is that I have to SQUEEZE it onto the movi. It barely fits, and at least my lenses are big and heavy so the pocket sits far back enough that it works.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    The original pocket camera with a pancake is probably the most innocent looking sleeper cam for stealing shots where you shouldn't It almost could pass for a phone.

The Pocket 4K looks like a DSLR/Mirrorless camera. You'll still get kicked out of a lot of places with that, but at least you won't get a fine.

A brain form factor with accessories could potentially get you in legal trouble depending on the local.
    Get a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Get a permit.
    No shit sherlock.

You really think the people who bought a $1300 BMPCC4K because it looked unassuming are going to be getting permits and insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    No shit sherlock.

You really think the people who bought a $1300 BMPCC4K because it looked unassuming are going to be getting permits and insurance?
    I thought you were talking about a brain form factor with accessories that can possibly get you in trouble.
    But nonetheless, if you are doing some serious shoot (indie or otherwise), it doesn't matter what camera or rig you are using, get a permit or roll that dice. I've been producing for a while and have quickly learn that rope, especially in LA.

If I need to steal shots I still have my original Pocket. I think it is much better for that than the new one, and in that context lack of 4k is not an issue, uprezzing algorithms are so good now that only pixel peeps are going to notice.

I think it would be cool if BM would acquire ZCam. The E2 seems so close, if it had Blackmagic OS and Braw it would fill a big hole. I think their new S35 and FF models def need Braw for manageable data rates, unless they do a good oversample for 4k ProRes, that would likely be fine for my needs, def looking at the new E6 s35 with mft mount.

I agree, even on the low budget $20k shoots gotta do everything by the books.

However...I will admit I've gotten away with b-roll shots and close-ups running with handheld stripped camera and one talent, even in LA.

I have friends that have been fined a lot of money...but there's an art to stealing shots and they didn't have the knack for it. Bringing crew, lights, gimbals, big-rigs or rehearsing over and over are a no-no.

I have a producer friend that does free passion projects for unknown artists he likes or is friends with. Everything is guerrilla shots, looks good enough for budding artists and he's never been caught.

With all that said, the Pocket HD you can get away with even when security is looking at you lol. The Pocket 4K not so much.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 04-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    and in that context lack of 4k is not an issue, uprezzing algorithms are so good now that only pixel peeps are going to notice.
    Yup. Currently in the post-house is a series pilot shot with a dragon and a micro. Master will be in 1080. So far it's been relatively easy to match the two, but we had a great dp and gaffer.