Thread: Installing Rawlite OLPF will void warranty for UM 4.6k/Pro cameras

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I believe all he would have needed to do was swap it out for the original cover glass before he sent it in.
    According to more detailed posts about this on another forum, once the "seal" on the glass has been broken they won't calibrate. It won't matter if you re-install the cover glass. Think of it as "warranty void if broken" tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rivera
    The installation of third party OLPFs prohibits us from performing the work required on our end. Adding to the issue of the debris located inside and outside of the sensor chamber, this is not something we can address, even for cameras that would be in warranty with third party products installed in this nature.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    According to more detailed posts about this on another forum, once the "seal" on the glass has been broken they won't calibrate. It won't matter if you re-install the cover glass. Think of it as "warranty void if broken" tape.
    I don't think we can blame them for refusing to service a camera under warranty that's been modified with a non-standard part fitted.

I also think that if you are very careful in the way that you change the OLPF, I doubt that there's any way that BMD will know that the cover glass has been changed.

The only way they can tell is if you're not doing it in the correct way in the correct environment (a clean room)

I bet almost no one here that has a RAWLITE OLPF has changed their OLPF in a truly clean environment ?

BMD install the sensor and cover glass in that environment, so if you change the cover glass then you're open to foreign objects entering that space.

If they get a camera that has dust, dirt and evidence of in-correct care of the camera, once again, why should they service that camera under warranty ?

If you instal the OLPF in a clean room environment then I doubt BMD would ever know you had changed the filter. Most people don't do that (and i know this because I've heard the stories from the service side)

JB

RAWLITE should really consider the idea to made their filter in Mosaic Engineering style (without need to remove original BM cameras sensor glass)
    Also BM should really consider the idea to made their cameras design more friendly to custom internal filters and lens mount shims until they can provide quality IR/OLPF filter as a part of the camera.
    If you see some tests on YouTube you can figure that even Pocket4K have IR pollution and small amount of aliasing as well.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    RAWLITE should really consider the idea to made their filter in Mosaic Engineering style (without need to remove original BM cameras sensor glass)
    Also BM should really consider the idea to made their cameras design more friendly to custom internal filters and lens mount shims until they can provide quality IR/OLPF filter as a part of the camera.
    If you see some tests on YouTube you can figure that even Pocket4K have IR pollution and small amount of aliasing as well.

I'm not sure what could be easier than undoing three screws and replacing the OLPF ? Because that's what you do now. I can do it in about 2 mins from whoa to go. (Other than of course needing to do it in a clean room environment)

And not sure what you mean by shims... you mean this right ?

And how much IR is "enough" ? The amount of IR filtration is ultimately subjective. Take away too much IR and and you start affecting skin tones.

JB

Seems ok so. I was wrongly thinking that Ursa use rubber ring to hold the sensor glass, similar to smaller cameras.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/