Thread: Installing Rawlite OLPF will void warranty for UM 4.6k/Pro cameras

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JB,
    BMD's message to me also contained a bit about 'debris' in the sensor chamber. I'm 99% sure that the chamber was very clean, so I'm wondering if the 'debris' is just another way to say "you broke the seal around the original filter." I'm trying to get some information now

If thats the case maybe you can ask them to reinstall a BMD filter and calibrate it at a cost to you since they don want to do it with a 3rd party filter since as John says it changes the optical path ect. What you do after that....well...that's on you
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Surely this is a given, adapting any piece of equipment voids most warranties?

Not Red cameras. Kippertie - yay m***** f***** !
    Discouraging us from fixing the only real flaw in their cameras when Red does not even have that flaw (Redís OLPF is quite aggressive) is a very odd policy. Kippertie offers a variety of looks with a series of interchangeable OLPFs. Why not the UMP G2?

with moire this camera is basically unusable in any professional manner, especially if you do campaigns/commercials. not only does BM not provide their own OLPF, but installing a solution voids the warranty? so basically what BM is saying, is that this is a hobbyist's camera and nothing more. lol. expensive hobby

Actually what BMD have said is that they won’t do a sensor calibration with a non factory part fitted to the sensor.

JB

So, on the Pro, simply remove the added filter, as it did not replace the original sensor glass, it is just sitting in front of it.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Actually what BMD have said is that they won’t do a sensor calibration with a non factory part fitted to the sensor.

JB
    And what my client has said is that most of the footage from the last shoot is unusable due to Moire. I did not know the problem was so bad until seeing the footage in davinci. So my options are either deal with a 3rd party or have a $6,000 paperweight sit on my desk. Ridiculous.

You can add the Moire filter to the UM Pro quite easily, and if the ca era ever needs BMD calibration or servicing, simply remove the filter before shipping it off to BMD. This issue arose from a user with the Original BMD 4.6 (non pro model) in which the OLPF filter replaced the original BMD Sensor cover glass, and BMD could not/would not recalibrate it with this “replacement” filter in the camera.

From my understanding, the Rawlite OLPF filter on the UM Pro, just fits in the lens cone in front of the sensor, the original sensor glass is not removed. Doing this is not any more difficult that changing lens mounts on the UM Pro.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RomanStone View Post
    And what my client has said is that most of the footage from the last shoot is unusable due to Moire. I did not know the problem was so bad until seeing the footage in davinci. So my options are either deal with a 3rd party or have a $6,000 paperweight sit on my desk. Ridiculous.

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues. Depending on the content, many moire issues are often “scaling” issues, so you should make sure that you also look at the final rendered result in the intended format size, so say 1920 HD on a real TV will look fine where as the source files in Resolve can look terrible.

Of course if you have shot subject that inherently are causing issues there’s not much you can do.

Speaking from my own experience, I’ve delivered many broadcast hours of footage shot for US and international network TV with the Ursa mini and UMP. The only time in my career I’ve had a shot rejected and fail a tech check for moire was on a Sony F55.

I have recently been using the OLPF from Rawlite but in this case as a “nicer” IR filter than as an OLPF.

To summarise though,

I believe if the OP had submitted his camera with the original cover glass installed, BMD would not have had an issue. It’s three screws to change the OLPF. I believe all he would have needed to do was swap it out for the original cover glass before he sent it in.

BMD can’t be expected to calibrate an RMA camera with a non-standard item in the optical path. The calibration doens’t work because it’s expecting a different IR filter (in fact the ACTUAL IR filter shipped with the camera)

JB