Thread: My sexy minimalist BMPCC4K

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 My sexy minimalist BMPCC4K 
    I'm loving what this little thing is serving up. My goal was to turn it into a solid but portable and all-day long run and gun build, that would allow me to keep my left hand on the focus wheel, and my right hand on the control grip for max speed and responsiveness. One 125w/h V-lock battery runs the camera, monitor, and HDMI to SDI converter for about 5-6 hours recording at BRAW 3:1 4K DCI to CFast.
    Attached Images

'minimalist':

My minimalist set up. PSX_20190414_120802.jpg

Now and then I throw in one of these, too.
    PSX_20190414_121743.jpg

Batteries last about an hour and I can record 70 minutes of braw Q5 in a 128GB SD card. Monitor is good enough for most situations and I get the external mic on a channel and the internal on another.
    Last edited by Fauxto; 04-14-2019 at 05:23 AM.
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

Always gotta have a Takstar or two on hand! Just in case...

They are pretty nice... for the price. And they have a sweet +10dB that work well with the Pocket 4K.
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo

Minimalist - meaning, the smallest you can go and still survive a day of shooting on-set
    Last edited by Josh Allen csc; 04-14-2019 at 12:48 PM.

My point here is that this camera already packs in a GREAT monitor, has decent battery life and you can record 70-100 minutes of braw Q5 into a tiny SD.

I've been into many proffessional sets and I don't really see the need to dress it with so much stuff, unless you want to impress someone.

I don't know why this setup wouldn't work for documentary or a small fiction production. The shoulder rig I posted is maybe the most comfortable I've ever used. You can even let the camera hang there while you rest your arms.

That said, your rig looks excellent. Nice, functional and tidy.
    Last edited by Fauxto; 04-14-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxto View Post
    I've been into many proffessional sets and I don't really see the need to dress it with so much stuff, unless you want to impress someone.

I don't know why this setup wouldn't work for documentary or a small fiction production. The shoulder rig I posted is maybe the most comfortable I've ever used. You can even let the camera hang there while you rest your arms.
    Well, I imagine if you are on a "professional" (I.e Union) set and get flares because you lack a matte box you are in deep trouble. If you miss the focus because you're self-pulling from the barrel of a short-throw stills lens you're also in deep trouble. Since you're self-pulling you don't have an AC to swap batteries for you, so either holding up production for some LP-E6 fucking batteries or missing the shot also mean fired. Fixed screen? Inaccurate focus pulls. Fired. Come to find out production has to pay more wages to post-production because of anything wrong with your footage? Not good for you.

It looks pretty stripped down to me honestly. No cinetape. No wireless. No sound. Stills lens with no iris ring.

With that said, one can ALWAYS strip a camera down to camera+lens. Some productions just require different levels of minimum gear. I imagine a Union set has a high minimum requirement.

I've been on sets where you wouldn't be caught dead without that gear and more, and some where the minimum was camera, lens, and mic. With that said, the operators who had those rigs - we were constantly waiting on them and they ruined some shots because of battery issues.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 04-14-2019 at 05:40 PM.

For run and gun or eng work I imagine your setup would be very fast, efficient and usable.

The first images is getting to look a bit Ursa-ish..... but with a smaller sensor