Thread: Blown away by Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Blown away by Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G2 
    BMCuser Sponsor
    Managed to get a few minutes away from my booth at NAB and walk around.

Tons of cool stuff at the show.

Personally I was blown away by the UMP 4.6K G2 running at 240fps and 300fps in HD resolution.

Image Quality is great, new color profile looks fantastic.

I think they hit it out of the park with this one by focusing on refinement and not just “Newness”

Low key, very subtly one of the best cameras I saw at the show , and I think it hasn’t been widely lauded yet because it hasn’t started shipping yet and because people think it’s “more of the same”

Personally I think this is a bigger change than most recognize and a huge step in product maturity.

Is Kinefinity at the show? If so did you get a chance to peek at their Terra/Mavo?

Quote Originally Posted by DanKanes View Post

Personally I was blown away by the UMP 4.6K G2 running at 240fps and 300fps in HD resolution.

I think they hit it out of the park with this one by focusing on refinement and not just “Newness”

Low key, very subtly one of the best cameras I saw at the show , and I think it hasn’t been widely lauded yet because it hasn’t started shipping yet and because people think it’s “more of the same”

Personally I think this is a bigger change than most recognize and a huge step in product maturity.
    I agree.

I've been using the G2 for a while.

I've long been a big fan of the UMP and the G2 is a really great improvement for two reasons, and neither of those reasons are really in the headline marketing material.

1. Much improved integration time. The rolling shutter is twice as short. Or basically it now has the same RS time as an Alexa.

This is a big deal. I do a lot of hand held work with this camera and having a shorter RS time means the hand held shots have far less of the artifacts of RS like skewed verticals.

2. Improved CFA. They have tweaked the way the CFA filter looks and you'll find subtle tuning of the inherent look of the sensor now.

Note I didn't even list faster frame rates. Which of course is great, but most of the work I do, the speed bump doesn't matter so much.

If anyone wants to see the G2 in action, catch Monday night's episode of The Resident. More than 40% of this episodes is shot G2. This is episode 220 "nothing better in the world".

I would lionk a promo, but the promos department at fox can't grade to save themselves. In fact the G2 shots look terrible in the promo because they haven't graded them correctly.

Watch it go to air and once it's available else where.

JB

Great to hear that you got a chance to walk around a bit!
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I agree.

I've been using the G2 for a while.

I've long been a big fan of the UMP and the G2 is a really great improvement for two reasons, and neither of those reasons are really in the headline marketing material.

1. Much improved integration time. The rolling shutter is twice as short. Or basically it now has the same RS time as an Alexa.

This is a big deal. I do a lot of hand held work with this camera and having a shorter RS time means the hand held shots have far less of the artifacts of RS like skewed verticals.

2. Improved CFA. They have tweaked the way the CFA filter looks and you'll find subtle tuning of the inherent look of the sensor now.

Note I didn't even list faster frame rates. Which of course is great, but most of the work I do, the speed bump doesn't matter so much.

If anyone wants to see the G2 in action, catch Monday night's episode of The Resident. More than 40% of this episodes is shot G2. This is episode 220 "nothing better in the world".

I would lionk a promo, but the promos department at fox can't grade to save themselves. In fact the G2 shots look terrible in the promo because they haven't graded them correctly.

Watch it go to air and once it's available else where.

JB
    I agree, there are a few nice points "hidden" in the upgrade that worth attention.
    In my view, the faster integration time also affects the way the motion looks as well. What people call "motion cadence" pretty much although I'm not sure that's a technical term. Both for objects moving in front of the camera and of course during camera movements where everything moves, the image has a cleaner, more accurate and "sweet" structure. People have been talking about motion sometimes when comparing to the Alexa; to my eyes this is as close as it gets.

BMCuser Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Is Kinefinity at the show? If so did you get a chance to peek at their Terra/Mavo?
    Yeah, actually had a Mavo LF on display on my booth.

The Mavo and Mavo LF have really gorgeous color - very attractive capture. I think they’re fantastic cams as well, hoping to see some larger scale adoption of them on some medium to big jobs too... will be spending some time with both soon.

The rolling shutter improvement is a big deal, i wish I could find a way to go all in on the G2, but I would need 2 and lenses. Really hoping that rumoured Fairchild mft sensor with 120 fps finds itself in a camera soon, the rolling shutter should be comparable with the same full speed. Pocket camera is what I want, but the new one still has more rolling shutter than I would like.

Really hoping if they end up going full frame 8k next year they don't have to go backwards tech wise with slow reading sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    The rolling shutter improvement is a big deal, i wish I could find a way to go all in on the G2, but I would need 2 and lenses. Really hoping that rumoured Fairchild mft sensor with 120 fps finds itself in a camera soon, the rolling shutter should be comparable with the same full speed. Pocket camera is what I want, but the new one still has more rolling shutter than I would like.

Really hoping if they end up going full frame 8k next year they don't have to go backwards tech wise with slow reading sensors.
    To my understanding, as the camera films 120fps at the full sensor resolution means 1000ms/120 = at least 8.3ms readout (of course it can be faster but at least that).
    I would also like a camera that films 8K at "full frame" but there are some issues with that: it's very likely that 8K will be at 60fps max. The readout at that point could be back to about 15ms at full resolution. Also, every other resolution in RAW would be "cropped" meaning it's either 8K or not "full frame". Unless they offer an internal resampling option of course that allows to record in other resolutions without windowing the sensor, something that drom my understanding I see technically possible with BRAW and it could be a game changer. In that case though we would still have the restrictions of the full sensor (for example 60fps and 15ms readout). Unless they can do 8K 120fps but that would be groundbreaking. Even the 8K REDs are 60fps at full sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by pidulgi View Post
    To my understanding, as the camera films 120fps at the full sensor resolution means 1000ms/120 = at least 8.3ms readout (of course it can be faster but at least that).
    I would also like a camera that films 8K at "full frame" but there are some issues with that: it's very likely that 8K will be at 60fps max. The readout at that point could be back to about 15ms at full resolution. Also, every other resolution in RAW would be "cropped" meaning it's either 8K or not "full frame". Unless they offer an internal resampling option of course that allows to record in other resolutions without windowing the sensor, something that drom my understanding I see technically possible with BRAW and it could be a game changer. In that case though we would still have the restrictions of the full sensor (for example 60fps and 15ms readout). Unless they can do 8K 120fps but that would be groundbreaking. Even the 8K REDs are 60fps at full sensor.
    Agreed that the motion cadence is awesome with the new RSI times.

Yeah! The times are posted here:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-issue!/page24
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Thank you for this...
    I couldn't find any covering of the camera on the net and felt quite frustrated... I also think this is a huge thing this camera...
    I preordered one... can't wait to get it...