Thread: Make BMPCC4K truely Cinematic

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aliochaaliocha View Post
    - you can show me any footage from the first BMPCC, BMCC, BMPC4K, or the digital Bolex as well on YouTube (dogs ; babies, anything) I will say you in 90% of the case "wow I like that"
    And that s the exact opposite for the new BMPCC4k I will say you in 90% of the case (even things from short film with lightings) "huh, that s too sharp, very video, I don't like that".
    I would recommend keeping the camera you like (BMPCC, great camera) and returning the camera you don't like.

@Ben thanks but it doesnt answer to my question : do you think
    that s possible to have that cinematic feeling with the bmpcc4k and how. I will return it if i can t get that feeling even if that s really annoying to use the camera i like for the reasons i mentionned.

About the other comments and lessons about what is cinema, thanks but you should keep the debate inside the question. I m teaching aesthetics and art theory so, thank you but you will not learn me anything about what the cinema is. The debate is really somewhere else. Something really more technical about the possibilities of certain cameras.

Ps: Mad Max?? Seriously? If you like cinema, please talk about Bela Tarr, Tarkovski, Bergman, Godard, not that s stupid movie

Ps: Mad Max?? Seriously? If you like cinema, please talk about Bela Tarr, Tarkovski, Bergman, Godard, not that s stupid movie
    BAHAHAHA Rekt XD

that s possible to have that cinematic feeling with the bmpcc4k and how
    The answer, which I think has been reached, is yes. How involves lighting/directing the scene appropriately and massaging the footage in post. This applies to every camera and project, just the Pocket 4K needs a little more attention.

What I noticed with my pocket 4K footage is that the motion looks very videolike. Allthough I was shooting 24fps 180 shutter angle(I figured I accidently shot 50fps or something, but checked the details all 24fps). Now I have not rendered the video yet, but only watched it in resolve.
    Has anybody noticed the same(is this a pocket 4K thing)?

Seriously? If you like cinema, please talk about Bela Tarr, Tarkovski, Bergman, Godard,
    Okay - NOW you've told us what you're after.

You are talking about HEAVY MASTER LEVEL lighting design and art direction.
    Seriously. You cannot discuss those filmmakers without by definition be talking about some of the finest lighting design and art direction in cinema history.

At least now you know what you need to go study.
    This is not really the forum for that.

Your camera is more than enough to capture images DESIGNED like that.
    Just don't use sharp lenses. That will be about all you need to do on the camera end.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    What I noticed with my pocket 4K footage is that the motion looks very videolike. Allthough I was shooting 24fps 180 shutter angle(I figured I accidently shot 50fps or something, but checked the details all 24fps). Now I have not rendered the video yet, but only watched it in resolve.
    Has anybody noticed the same(is this a pocket 4K thing)?
    this is what we are talking about, and the question is : is that possible and HOW to escape from that!

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    The answer, which I think has been reached, is yes. How involves lighting/directing the scene appropriately and massaging the footage in post. This applies to every camera and project, just the Pocket 4K needs a little more attention.
    thanks, i believe you, do you have some examples on Youtube/Vimeo of that ? (and i'm still interested by your LUT(s) ! thanks so much in advance !!!

@Ben thanks but it doesnt answer to my question : do you think
    that s possible to have that cinematic feeling with the bmpcc4k and how. I will return it if i can t get that feeling even if that s really annoying to use the camera i like for the reasons i mentionned.

About the other comments and lessons about what is cinema, thanks but you should keep the debate inside the question. I m teaching aesthetics and art theory so, thank you but you will not learn me anything about what the cinema is. The debate is really somewhere else. Something really more technical about the possibilities of certain cameras.

Again, I already said I get what you're saying, but words mean things. I think we, as a filmmaking community, need to stop using "cinematic" as a buzz word. Using it in this context is only a few degrees removed from YouTubers claiming they can get you that CINEMATIC LOOK with smooth motion, 24 FPS (wow, who would have thought), shallow depth of field, film grain, etc.

As for you name dropping classic masters that everyone here probably knows, hey, you do you. I don't need your validation to know that George Miller is a modern master. It's not like I'm the only one who thinks this. Shit, Edgar Wright thinks Fury Road the best action movie of all time.

Or are you that type of person who thinks action movies and genre pieces can't be masterpieces? That they all have to be high-minded, intellectual works, like Bergman and God or Tarkovsky and "the problem of inner freedom" or way Nuri Bilge Ceylan grapples with flaws inherent to humanity? I can watch Fury Road and have just as much appreciation for the pure craft, the mind-boggling stunts, the way character and emotion is communicated almost completely non-verbally. There is mastery there, even if it's not in black and white and a foreign language.

@TravisA i think you re a troll, that s absolutly not the debate. I m really not debating about that here. It wasn't my question at all. I just agree about the term "cinematic if you want, against that use on YouTube channels, but as English is not my primary langage, actually I don't care at all, I just hope you are smart enough to understand the question I'm asking despite of the language gap

Ps: i think Mad Max is a stupid movie, i hope you will survive to that. And no that doesnt mean all genre movies are stupid as well !!