Thread: Bmpcc4k battery grip

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    How soon before Vello or Neewer come out with a knock-off battery grip for the Pocket 4k?
    I've been in contact with them way before the BMD grip came out and when the P4K just came out. I hope they will do something for the Pocket 4K but I think I doubt it because when I spoke with them they don't think there is enough market since it they see the P4K as a specialty camera and not for the regular consumer camera buyers. They could definitely make it a lot cheaper. I used Vello's battery grip on the GH5 and got it for less than $50. It's very well made and nice on the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by KrocanX View Post
    I am amazed people are so rude about this battery grip. Here and facebook group is full of hate. Why? If you dont like it, guess what! You dont have to buy it! For me personally, it is finally proper grip. I am super happy for this solution, I have been begging for grip with two 550s/570s since I have my pocket. Yes, I am using V mounts too, but sometimes this makes so much sense. Not everyone want franken rigs on a tripod. Cages? I am sure there will be new cages in a month.
    Buyer's remorse, particularly those who went out and bought a cage too early... I'm not including those people who bought a cage and know what they are for.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallbaker View Post
    Not rude, or full of hate, just practical. With the P4k being so cheap I've seen tons of new comers to the BMD camera family - new comers who don't know that as awesome as BMD cameras are, that their promises are never that accurate (especially in regards to battery life). Sorry if you think folks sharing their opinion or experience is rude.
    The battery grip is much more practical than a franken-rig P4K. The reason you get a P4K is to be stealthy and compact. If you like rigging, get an URSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Its a Blackmagic battery grip thread. No need to hijack the thread with rigged battery solution images for no other reasons than trying to convince yourself you made the right choice.
    This.

I like rigging, and I have an Ursa. :-) I bought the P4k as a b-cam for the Ursa, it works great for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    The battery grip is much more practical than a franken-rig P4K. The reason you get a P4K is to be stealthy and compact. If you like rigging, get an URSA.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Obviously this is for you guys. Buy it! You have everyone else figured out, and why they think the way they do, and their opinions don't matter.

I've got money to make kids, best of luck (convincing yourself your opinion is authority)! I'll leave this forum to the experts!
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Obviously this is for you guys. Buy it! You have everyone else figured out, and why they think the way they do, and their opinions don't matter.

I've got money to make kids, best of luck (convincing yourself your opinion is authority)! I'll leave this forum to the experts!
    Tara then!

Riiight. Go home kid. I've already pointed out that it's great for casual shooting, and that if priced more appropriate I'd get one too. There's no buyers remorse there. I'm not sure if you're a pro or hobbyist, but most folks including me, have several set-ups for different types of shooting. Sometimes I use the cage/rig, v-mount, sometimes, just low profile w/ a pocket full of batteries, sometimes on the ronin, powered by the ronin. A lot of situations call for different set-ups. You're just mistaken.

And again, it's not hijacking a thread to say that it won't power it for as long as advertised.

I don't visit the forums as much as I used to because it's become like politics here. God forbid someone have a different experience than you.
    So what does this thread title says kiddo?

and back to the point at hand...thoughts on the BM P4K Battery Grip:

well, I think this is neat and I can see (at least on my Tilta cage) that the side pieces can be replaced with longer versions to fit the grip.

dunno if I am gonna buy one - I like my stripped down rig on my ronin-s or a bit more built up one for handheld/tripod work with either a mini V-lock or an open Sony L sled - but would be interested to re-visit in late summer if Titla makes new side pieces and it would balance ok on my ronin-s.

You're right, they also said you'd get an hour out of the Canon battery on the p4k, and 50-60 mins out of the Nikon battery that came with the 1st pocket 4k - neither of which are true. I have both cameras (along with the original bmcc - none have ever had the advertised battery life. Great cameras, but I don't trust BM to tell the truth about battery life.
    That's all fine but did you test the Sony NP550? That's the battery that is to be used in the grip. Check out the 10th post in this thread. Multiple tests have already been done...

Quote Originally Posted by ted ramasola View Post
    On my tests with different batteries I have, the NP550 which is 2200mah lasts as follows;

FW 5.2/6.0 : 56 min
    FW 6.1 : 74 min
    FW 6.2.1 : 71 min

So if this grip uses the 550/570 type battery then you get roughly double these times.

I use a dummy to NPF plate which can give me up to 213 min with a single NPF 970.
    I personally don't care about ancient history. I too own an original BMPCC. But if someone just tested the NP550 battery with the new pocket and provided the data it really doesn't matter what went on with my old BMPCC and some other battery. You are literally calling these people liars in a thread where a third party verified their claim.

It's a smaller profile than rigging up a v-mount, so for casual shooters it may work great, but if you're...
    I'm a casual shooter. I really don't care what other people do with their money. I've never been on a Hollywood set. If Hollywood DP's are strapping these things to the backs of elephants I really don't care. It has nothing to do with my purchasing decision.

I think it'd be better priced at $65-85.
    Why stop there? Why not $10?

Not rude, or full of hate, just practical. With the P4k being so cheap I've seen tons of new comers to the BMD camera family - new comers who don't know that as awesome as BMD cameras are, that their promises are never that accurate (especially in regards to battery life). Sorry if you think folks sharing their opinion or experience is rude.
    I never thought that this would be the reaction to a $1300 m43 raw 4k camera that comes with a full license for Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    For a long time, many on Facebook were all acting up because BMD should make a battery grip. In fact, anyone should make one, but they had preferred if BMD did it so it was more in line with the design and look and feel.

Now there is one, and people are going nuts about "what? not more than x hours?" -- "it's too bulky" etc.. It's not like anyone's forcing it on you, and if you have a better idea, design one!
    Exactly. People spent months crying out for it and now that it is here a bunch of people are complaining. Personally one of the reasons I am buying one is to support the company. Of course I wish it was small, ran the camera for 8+ hrs on a single charge, cost <$10, etc. But it is what it is. If you don't like it buy one of the other solutions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I've been in contact with them way before the BMD grip came out and when the P4K just came out. I hope they will do something for the Pocket 4K but I think I doubt it because when I spoke with them they don't think there is enough market since it they see the P4K as a specialty camera and not for the regular consumer camera buyers. They could definitely make it a lot cheaper.
    I think you answered your own question and a bunch of other people's question. Maybe there just isn't the projected volume to make it cheaper. Maybe blackmagic is only doing a limited production run. I picked up my BMPCC during the fire sale. I doubt they are interested in repeating that situation. Smaller production run means higher cost per unit but less inventory that needs to be moved.

Batteries of a certain size can only hold so much charge. Smaller production runs mean costlier units. I can see several logical reasons for the grip to cost as much as it does and power the camera for 2+hrs. It isn't ideal but I don't think it is a deliberate conspiracy.