Thread: One little goat has a new battery solution for bmpcc 4K and bmmcc

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62
  1. #31  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansetsu-Guyse View Post
    it power by a cable, meaning you need a break out box, or custom cable for the expansion bmmcc d connector, or cut off all the wires you don’t need from the cables that come with the bmmcc, or don’t mount the thing on the camera an use a dummy battery, or look at all the info that one little goat provided and figure it out yourself. And if you can’t do that, the bmmcc is definitely not a camera for you.

    You could also just ask one little goat, unless of course you thought you could just ask someone to do it for you and report back.
    I've owned a bmmcc almost since it came out. I've read the indiegogo, and the wording is vague regarding this specific point, hence why I asked. There is no way to contact him on the indiegogo and you can't comment unless you back the project. No need to get snarky.

    If it is the case that the micro has to be powered via cable and breakout box the campaign is misleading and it's quite a turn off.

    I have contacted him via the website form and whenever he gets back I will update here. I figured it's possible someone else has asked.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 04-23-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #32  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA N. CA
    Posts
    3,142
    If you have a Micro Camera, then you might also have one of Phil’s One Little Goat remote’s, which include the breakout to power the camera via the remote to the breakout connector on the camera. The OLR connects to the DB connector on the camera, the battery cable connects to the remote. Having the battery plate adapter connect power directly would be nice, but would add to the complication and cost.
    Phil’s original concept was to power the camera via a cable, as the DB connector was being used by a SBus remote setup.

    With the release of the Pocket 4K, the battery concept went from a add on the back of the Micro to a hand grip battery that could be used by several cameras, including the new Pocket 4K, increasing Phill’s market and making a commercial run more doable. This has been an ongoing development that started several years ago. Making the battery more universal, increases its chance of success.
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #33  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    If you have a Micro Camera, then you might also have one of Phil’s One Little Goat remote’s, which include the breakout to power the camera via the remote to the breakout connector on the camera. The OLR connects to the DB connector on the camera, the battery cable connects to the remote. Having the battery plate adapter connect power directly would be nice, but would add to the complication and cost.
    Phil’s original concept was to power the camera via a cable, as the DB connector was being used by a SBus remote setup.

    With the release of the Pocket 4K, the battery concept went from a add on the back of the Micro to a hand grip battery that could be used by several cameras, including the new Pocket 4K, increasing Phill’s market and making a commercial run more doable. This has been an ongoing development that started several years ago. Making the battery more universal, increases its chance of success.
    Cheers
    I do have a breakout box (not a OLR, doesn't matter), but it's not efficient to have extra cables powering the camera while also using up the LP-e6 mount on the back and not getting power from it. If I power the camera via an external battery, which is what this technically is, I also have one mounted on the back for hot swaps since mounting a larger battery probably involves a long shoot day.

    He has product photos of it mounted on lights with NO cables. If the mount isn't hot, this is very misleading and leaves a bad impression.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    I do have a breakout box (not a OLR, doesn't matter), but it's not efficient to have extra cables powering the camera while also using up the LP-e6 mount on the back and not getting power from it. If I power the camera via an external battery, which is what this technically is, I also have one mounted on the back for hot swaps since mounting a larger battery probably involves a long shoot day.

    He has product photos of it mounted on lights with NO cables. If the mount isn't hot, this is very misleading and leaves a bad impression.
    Your answer is in the overview on the iniegogo page
    On skin tones- "Give me mud and I will make the skin of Venus out of it, if you allow me to surround it as I please", Eugéne Delacroix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #35  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansetsu-Guyse View Post
    Your answer is in the overview on the iniegogo page
    No, it's not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indigogo Page
    Can connect directly onto the back of the Blackmagic Micro Cinema and Micro Studio cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigogo Page
    Canon (LPE6) and Sony (NPF) battery plates are included so you can attach the battery bank directly to lights, monitors and other accessories - including directly onto the back of the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera,
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigogo Page
    Included are Sony and Canon battery plates so you can plug the battery handle into your lights, monitors etc.
    Neither of those specify that they output through the adapter, only that they attach directly to the mounts.

    FYI this is how you avoid disappointment when buying things over the internet. Assume nothing that isn't explicitly said. It's extremely common for custom batteries like these to have dummy adapters and require cables for power. The addition of a hot mount would make these exceptional, as Denny alluded to.

    Regardless, I have received the answer to my question. No thanks to your (lack of) input.

    The battery mounts are hot. This makes these extremely versatile and valuable. I'm getting some.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 04-23-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #36  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA N. CA
    Posts
    3,142
    Geran, great news! Thanks for getting a definite answer on this. At one point, Phill did indicate the battery would have a hot mount, but when he redeveloped it into a grip form-factor, and his new info did not indicate a hot mount, I was not sure. This makes the setup much more useable for different applications, including powering a Micro camera from the battery mount, freeing a battery port to also power a monitor. This cinched the deal for me also, getting at least one too, maybe two.
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #37  
    Senior Member DPStewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Puget Sound
    Posts
    3,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Geran, great news! Thanks for getting a definite answer on this. At one point, Phill did indicate the battery would have a hot mount, but when he redeveloped it into a grip form-factor, and his new info did not indicate a hot mount, I was not sure. This makes the setup much more useable for different applications, including powering a Micro camera from the battery mount, freeing a battery port to also power a monitor. This cinched the deal for me also, getting at least one too, maybe two.
    Cheers
    Yeah... I just assumed that since he showed the battery grip with adapter plate mounted on a small light fixture that has no AC Input - well, it had to be a hot mount.

    I'm realizing I have more devices than I even initially thought of that will benefit from this thing. I'd love to phase out my use of individual LP-e6 and NPF batteries as much as I can.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #38  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,165
    It was quite clear from the beginning that the adapter plates were hot. You can for example see it powering the BMMCC and an external monitor in his first video plus vocal explanation that it works with lights and cameras by sliding them in.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m3tS2ZirIg

    1:19 min

    Please go through all info before spreading misinformation that quickly.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #39  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    It was quite clear from the beginning that the adapter plates were hot. You can for example see it powering the BMMCC and an external monitor in his first video plus vocal explanation that it works with lights and cameras by sliding them in.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m3tS2ZirIg

    1:19 min

    Please go through all info before spreading misinformation that quickly.
    No misinformation was spread. I asked if anyone could confirm if they were hot, and nobody could. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that. You only see him "slide it on" and you don't hear any mention of "power" or see any of the devices turn on. With the amount of devices that use dummy plates it would be foolish to assume in this situation, especially without the explicit definition, and especially for the price-point of just a battery carrier.

    You're welcome for the confirmation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #40  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    It appears that the plates for the OLG batteries are dummy adapters, so cables are required for all uses.
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Sony NP-F970 Complete Battery Solution for BMMCC
    By ericsanpablo in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2018, 02:41 AM
  2. BMMCC + Video Assist Battery Solution
    By RupertRacer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-21-2018, 09:07 PM
  3. Need BMPCC external battery solution
    By Tony Hollywood in forum Cinematography
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM
  4. Best BMCC/BMPCC battery solution ever!
    By The Buffo in forum Workflow
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-13-2015, 06:49 PM
  5. BMPCC battery solution help
    By gfagien in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •