Thread: One little goat has a new battery solution for bmpcc 4K and bmmcc

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Unfortunately it looks like the project's been cancelled
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/v...7#/updates/all

My question is why BM is designing their small footprint cameras with the crappiest power solutions possible? Either these cameras should have 3rd party power from the start (like UMP) or have a battery solution that does not require some form of external rigging.

LPe6 batteries may be plentiful, but they are sure outdated and have very little capacity. Poor design decision, they could have used Sony L or BP batteries like Kinifinity does for a much denser power solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
    My question is why BM is designing their small footprint cameras with the crappiest power solutions possible? Either these cameras should have 3rd party power from the start (like UMP) or have a battery solution that does not require some form of external rigging.
    Well, to be fair, they do have a battery solution. You just use a few LP-E6s. I just shot for two hours, and I swapped out three tiny batteries, took about 30 seconds total. If you WANT a massive battery, no problem, rig one up. But I am happy enough with the LP-E6 for short run-n-gun shoots.

The Fuji XT-3 also has a short battery life (maybe 10 minutes more than the BMPCC4K). They're small, light cameras, and at least for me, carrying a couple of small, feather-weight batteries is no big deal.

Then again, I'm used to the old Pocket, which would get 10-15 minutes on a battery, so the BMPCC4K is like HEAVEN compared to that. As with everything in life, it's about perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
    They are NOT the crappiest battery solutions possible - they are the ONLY battery solutions possible when making a camera at these tiny sizes.
    Those batteries from the original pocket only last about 20-minutes, but they last about 4 hours on the Nikon cameras they originally went in.
    Canon LP-6 batteries can last at least that long in Canon cameras.

This is ALL because of the DEMANDS placed on the battery by a camera that is DOING so much more.

Make these pocket cameras shoot crappy h.264 like those others and you'll see battery life far extended.
    And OF COURSE the P4K also has 3rd party power from the start just like the UMP - it's called 'the external power input port' where you can attach any one of a hundred different options your heart may desire. The UMP doesn't allow for that, just V-mount or Gold mount - and you cannot use it without an external battery connected. -> Advantage P4K.

When it comes to power - there is no free lunch.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 04-30-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Sorry DP, the Ursa Mini has a 4-pin XLR power input you can connect a host of large external batteries to it. I run an small 12-volt battery (think small battery used in UPS units) to power my Ursa Broadcast for filming events, and a Gold Mount battery on the back as a backup.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    They are NOT the crappiest battery solutions possible - they are the ONLY battery solutions possible when making a camera at these tiny sizes.
    Completely untrue. Locking a battery inside a compartment is simply a bad design, specially a power hungry camera. So now not only you have to deal with heat from the sensor and processor, but also from the battery itself. It's a bad design, as simple as that. I love BM IQ, but this is simply a huge oversight in other wise spectacular camera.
    Rigging a camera with external battery is not always a good option, due to size and weight. It's fine for shooting close to a car, but for remote locations and no to little support you start counting weight and size of the items. I was contracted by TV station from Seattle to shoot footage for segment, following people on Mt Rainier, all the way to 14500 summit. I shot it on Canon XF100, and I shot for 2 days on just two large Canon batteries. Carrying 10 LP batteries would simply suck.

DP you are so stupid every body knows that an apple is identical to an orange
    On skin tones- "Give me mud and I will make the skin of Venus out of it, if you allow me to surround it as I please", Eugéne Delacroix

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    This is ALL because of the DEMANDS placed on the battery by a camera that is DOING so much more.

Make these pocket cameras shoot crappy h.264 like those others and you'll see battery life far extended.
    this is not really what is going on - compressing to h264 is probably MORE 'power hungry' compared to saving RAW, not less.

The reason BM cameras are power hungry is because the brains are based on inefficient (but cost effective and flexible) FPGA solutions.
    The 'big boy' cameras tend to use MUCH more power efficient custom chips (ASIC) that take $$$$$$ to develop and produce

Quote Originally Posted by Stelvis View Post
    this is not really what is going on - compressing to h264 is probably MORE 'power hungry' compared to saving RAW, not less.

The reason BM cameras are power hungry is because the brains are based on inefficient (but cost effective and flexible) FPGA solutions.
    The 'big boy' cameras tend to use MUCH more power efficient custom chips (ASIC) that take $$$$$$ to develop and produce
    Doesn't really matter. Not really relevant. The end user's result is a camera that produces better images than the ones those two batteries were designed for.
    The end user's experience is a camera that produces better results at the price point but at a greater power cost.

What other batteries could have been chosen that fit the SIZE requirements of the two Pocket Cameras? Really none. This is especially true when considering that in this decade, size = power. Meaning there are no batteries of the same size that offer significantly more power (without spending A LOT MORE money). There is no free lunch.

So tiring are the crowd of voices screaming for longer battery life yet smaller and smaller size.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine