Thread: Smart EF-M43 adapter?

1. #1 Smart EF-M43 adapter? 
    I'm thinking of getting a Sigma 17-50 for the Pocket 4K. It's 2.8 and it covers around 20-60mm (S35mm equivalent), which is almost all you need for cinematic filmmaking.

I'm looking for a smart EF-M43 adapter. There's one (extremely expensive) from Metabones and then there's this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ter_smart.html

Has anyone tried it?
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

Can’t say much for that adapter, but the fotodiox dummy adapters I have are good quality. You are paying for glass quality, research, and lens decoding with the metabones. You sacrifice all of those with the budget speedboosters.

Like you I also started with the EF Sigma 17-50. It produces good images but it has bad distortion and the focus throw/breathing is far from cinematic. The focus throw is like 45’ max. Manual focus pulling is choppy and difficult. Treat it like a stack of primes and you should be alright. If I could do it all over again I would have gotten vintage 24, 35, and 50 primes instead, which is totally doable in that budget.

Look for threads about the Viltrox EF-M, it's a smart adapter which should support AF (not sure about IS) - the Viltrox EF-M2 is a focal reducer aka speedbooster.

If I remember correctly I never had IS-support with the Sigma 17-50 (neither on the original Pocket and the 0.58 Metabones speedbooster nor the Pocket 4K and both Viltrox adapters - but I sold the Sigma because of its short focus throw before I bought a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, so i can't tell if at least that combination would give you IS-support and therefore maybe the dumb Metabones, too).

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    Look for threads about the Viltrox EF-M, it's a smart adapter which should support AF (not sure about IS) - the Viltrox EF-M2 is a focal reducer aka speedbooster.

If I remember correctly I never had IS-support with the Sigma 17-50 (neither on the original Pocket and the 0.58 Metabones speedbooster nor the Pocket 4K and both Viltrox adapters - but I sold the Sigma because of its short focus throw before I bought a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, so i can't tell if at least that combination would give you IS-support and therefore maybe the dumb Metabones, too).
    Ok, thanks for the input! I'll take a look at the Viltrox EF-M.

BTW, I've found this regarding the Fotodiox one. It's a pity IS doesn't work yet:

Camera Compatibility:
    MFT (Micro-4/3) Mirrorless Cameras - Popular models include:
    • Various MFT Cameras
    • Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K ver. 6.1 - IRIS control ONLY (Adapter is ver. 3.2 - update coming soon for compatibility with BMPCC 4K ver. 6.2)
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxto View Post
    Ok, thanks for the input! I'll take a look at the Viltrox EF-M.
    I use Metabones Speedboosters and really like them for their reliability, at least in my experience. Recently, I've been interested in adding a non-speedbooster adapter to our kit for the extra reach we would get for wildlife and stage performances, so I ordered the Viltrox EF-M1, which is shown to work with the BMPCC4K here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpUK7iHkNu0

I received my copy this week and was unable to get aperture control or IS out of the box, and actually installed several versions of the Viltrox firmware as there are reports V2.3 works. Viltrox recently released update 3.3 to address this very issue on the BMPCC4K, but it didn't work for me. The whole process of updating firmware itself was a pain, having to try 6 different micro USB cables (all confirmed to work with other devices) until the Viltrox was recognized by my computer (a Mac). Once I got it to mount reliably, I was unable to verify whether or not the adapter had been updated or not. The disk simply ejects itself, which apparently is confirmation of the update, but my BMPCC4k still does not connect to the adapter.

I've contacted Viltrox and we'll see what they say, but the $400 price tag on the non-speedbooster version of the Metabones adapter is looking a lot more attractive...

Fabián
    Fabián Aguirre
    Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
    The Understory

I'm interested in getting an electric EF adapter, while I wait for the Metabones P4K Booster to appear. Definitely need one that will use Image Stabilization.