Thread: Ursa Mini Pro+ Cooke Anamorphic 2x 100mm and 25mm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa Mini Pro+ Cooke Anamorphic 2x 100mm and 25mm 
    I got the opportunity to test out the Cooke Anamorphic/i 2x 100mm and 25mm. My friend was drone op on a shoot that they brought the lenses from LA into the island (we don't have these top end lenses in Jamaica)...and I asked the DP if I could tag along just to test them out. They were very cool about me coming on set and doing so and I offered them the footage which they appreciated.

These lenses are gorgeous....as they should be for 30k a pop.

Since I was testing I did a variety of codecs and I shot in 3k anamorphic mode for the first section of the vid and 4.6k full sensor for the other half. Use the UMP's internal ND as I had no mattebox that could fit them. The rig was about 33lbs. I used my easyrig Vario 5.

Beach shots are Prores 4444, beach slow mo is prores 422 HQ...and the night stuff is Braw Q0. These are a couple shots below. All shot on the 100mm except the 2 night shots which is the 25mm.

https://vimeo.com/327567569

Password: cookie

I need these lenses in my life. Just thought ya'll would want to see how the UMP looks with these top tier anamorphic lenses. The UMP looks gorgeous
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jambredz; 04-04-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Darren, this is really beautiful work.
    I'm inspired to rent some anamorphics for an upcoming project.

The beach stuff reminds me of The Master.

If you'll allow me to ask a dumb question: is the field of view the same when you use the 3k anamorphic mode and full sensor? I'm wondering if the 3k ana mode is just cutting off the sides. I wouldn't think it does but I'm not sure. does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by jmad View Post
    If you'll allow me to ask a dumb question: is the field of view the same when you use the 3k anamorphic mode and full sensor? I'm wondering if the 3k ana mode is just cutting off the sides. I wouldn't think it does but I'm not sure. does that make sense?
    The anamorphic mode is a crop of the sensor to a 6:5 aspect ratio. The sensor is 16:9 so not ideal for 2x anamorphic so BMD put that mode in. The 16:9 sensor is more suited for a 1.33x anamorphic lens so if you were shooting full sensor you'd use that. However I wanted to experiment with the 4.6k full res and the 16:9 sensor to see the result. The 3k mode looks really nice though and you get to properly see 2x anamorphic in action. So yes it does crop the left and right of the sensor to get the proper aspect ratio.
    Darren Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    The anamorphic mode is a crop of the sensor to a 6:5 aspect ratio. The sensor is 16:9 so not ideal for 2x anamorphic so BMD put that mode in. The 16:9 sensor is more suited for a 1.33x anamorphic lens so if you were shooting full sensor you'd use that. However I wanted to experiment with the 4.6k full res and the 16:9 sensor to see the result. The 3k mode looks really nice though and you get to properly see 2x anamorphic in action. So yes it does crop the left and right of the sensor to get the proper aspect ratio.
    ok, thanks for the info. So using 3k ana is effectively the same as shooting full sensor then desqueezing and zooming to 2.4 in post, correct? you'd end up with the same image?

ok, thanks for the info. So using 3k ana is effectively the same as shooting full sensor then desqueezing and zooming to 2.4 in post, correct? you'd end up with the same image?
    So shooting 3k Ana mode you are using only a part of the sensor. Not full sensor. So you are squeezing a portion of the sensor. In davinci I change the clip attributes to cinemascope and the timeline to 4k cinemascope (sorry I can't remember the exact resolution at the moment). No zooming needed. So it is slightly upressed here... But I could have downressed to 2k scope. What you see there is the resulting aspect ratio (first half of the video).
    Darren Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    So shooting 3k Ana mode you are using only a part of the sensor. Not full sensor. So you are squeezing a portion of the sensor. In davinci I change the clip attributes to cinemascope and the timeline to 4k cinemascope (sorry I can't remember the exact resolution at the moment). No zooming needed. So it is slightly upressed here... But I could have downressed to 2k scope. What you see there is the resulting aspect ratio (first half of the video).
    Thanks, and sorry to derail your thread. I understand what the 3k ana mode is for but what I'm trying to figure out is whether the field of view remains the same. Say for example you shot the exact same thing with the mini pro in 3k ana and pocket 4k (which is of course 16:9) with a 2x anamorphic lens. you do the desqueeze in post for both and you'd have to blow up the P4K to fit the timeline. would the two shots have an identical field of view or would the p4k be "punched in" because you needed to scale it up to fit? my guess is the 3k ana shot would have a wider field of view because you aren't cropping the sides - unless the 3k ana mode is cropping the sides from the get go. i hope it makes sense.

I think the essence of my question is: does the 3k ana mode crop or down-sample the image?

Thanks, and sorry to derail your thread. I understand what the 3k ana mode is for but what I'm trying to figure out is whether the field of view remains the same. Say for example you shot the exact same thing with the mini pro in 3k ana and pocket 4k (which is of course 16:9) with a 2x anamorphic lens. you do the desqueeze in post for both and you'd have to blow up the P4K to fit the timeline. would the two shots have an identical field of view or would the p4k be "punched in" because you needed to scale it up to fit? my guess is the 3k ana shot would have a wider field of view because you aren't cropping the sides - unless the 3k ana mode is cropping the sides from the get go. i hope it makes sense.
    Yes you are correct. The 2nd half of the vid is essentially shot that way . If I shot 2x anamorphic with my pocket 4k with a speedbooster it's essentially the same FOV as my UMP. So it would look similar to what you see there. I would need to zoom those clips in the 2nd half of the vid to fill the frame which would make the FOV tighter. So yes the 3k anamorphic mode yields a wider FOV in that case.
    Darren Scott