Thread: Metabones Announces Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Support

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Metabones Announces Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Support 
    New Speed booster coming from Metabones for the Pocket 4k.

https://www.43rumors.com/press-text-...ra-4k-support/

True:

https://metabones.com/article/of/Bla...inemaCamera_4K

QUOTE:
    "There will be new Pocket 4k Speed Boosters® with new optics specifically optimized for the unique characteristics of the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. We will disclose details in a separate announcement. Each Speed Booster® is designed specifically for the filter stack of the sensor. The existing Speed Booster® XL 0.64x and Speed Booster® ULTRA 0.71x have excellent optical properties on JVC, Olympus and Panasonic cameras but the forthcoming Pocket 4K Speed Boosters will work only on Blackmagic cameras."

I was just going to order the "0.71x ULTRA" ... hmmm. Now I don´t know what to do.
    Spend my money on the old one. Or buy a cheal "Viltrox". I wated so long for the Pocket 4K.
    I don´t want to wait on a speedbooster, too?`

"We will disclose details in a separate announcement." .... WHEN? In a day? In a week? In a month?

I just realised I just hate to play this "waiting game" over and over again.
    it is great that they annopunced it. Really great. But if some company announce something...
    please insert some DATES when it will be available.

Almost no one ever has accurate dates with developments...that's just not how it works. (Maybe an estimate at best..."May".)

The announcements are simply part of running a business to let people know what they are doing and to possibly stop them from purchasing something else. In this case, Metabones doesn't have much competition, but that's how it is with 99% of other products.

"I might buy a Pocket 4K but wait a minute...I'm hearing something about a GH6 from Panasonic." (...just like your thoughts above on buying/waiting.)

Well. I asked metabone two month ago if they will produce some specific Speedbooster for the Pcoket 4k.
    And they answered 4 weeks ago that I should go with the Ultras 0.71x

But sure. It is great to announce something. But cmon. At least say something like:
    "next month" or "at the end of the year" or "early 2020". I don´t need the exact DAY but it would
    be cool to know a little more.

You can't go wrong with the 0.71x ULTRA.
    People have been using it and the results speak for themselves, and it will have strong resale value if you decide you want the P4K version later on.
    Their P4K might take a while. And it might be more expensive.

Overall a great company.
    I've got a bunch of their Boosters and adapters and the company has been on the spot when I needed a few mods.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 03-22-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

One thing seems to go unnoticed around here: They released a new firmware today (3.10) for the Ultra-Speedbooster and now I have touch-AF on the Sigma 18-35.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

I have the 0.64 XL model and I love it with the Pocket 4K. Works great with all my full frame lenses, and great with the Sigma 18-35, and the Tokina 11-20mm zoomed in a little bit (which gives pretty much same field of view as .71 ultra). I have the Viltrox as well, but only if you shoot at f/2.8 or smaller f-stop. My Canon 24-70mm Mark II is nice and crisp and contrasty with the Viltrox wide open. If you shoot at 1.8 with the Sigma 18-35 it blooms, and the Metabones XL doesn't, nice and sharp and contrasty. That being said, the Viltrox is good value, if you pay like $130 bucks on ebay.

As per my experience, I first bought the Viltrox on Amazon for $238 because I wanted it fast, but I had to return it, because I couldn't achieve infinity focus even after adjusting the optics inside all the way in. Then I bought one on eBay from a US based seller, and focuses at infinity. One interesting note, is that the Amazon one, had holographic void tape on the sides of the box, and the ebay one had regular void tape. Interesting that the non-hologram tape was the good one. Others that have purchased the Amazon one have expressed similar experiences with being unable to get inifinity focus.

I use the Metabones 0.64 XL with the Sigma 18-35 on the Pocket 4K, and the vignetting is awful. Even when I think I've backed out of the widest angle, I find vignetting in the finished footage (subtle enough to not see while shooting, but clear as day during playback on large monitor). Does anyone else encounter this issue?

I'm wondering is the new Pocket 4k Metabones SB is just a re-badged BMCC Metabones x64 SB that was discontinued not so long ago?

I have the Viltrox, its terribly soft with ghosting on fast f1.4 lens you have to step up to f2.8 to look decent.

Quote Originally Posted by xrayspecs View Post
    I use the Metabones 0.64 XL with the Sigma 18-35 on the Pocket 4K, and the vignetting is awful. Even when I think I've backed out of the widest angle, I find vignetting in the finished footage (subtle enough to not see while shooting, but clear as day during playback on large monitor). Does anyone else encounter this issue?
    The Sigma ist for "APS-C" Sensor size. Not Full Frame Sensor size. Of course you will get vignetting with the the Metabones 0.64 XL.
    Just do some math. Check out the mm (Sensorsize) for Super35mm 3-pref, APS-C and FullFrame. And check the sensor size of the Pocket 4k.
    And look up if your lens covers up FF or only APS-C.

And about Viltrox. Don´t buy it. It seems that there are more than 4 different version out there. All from "Viltrox". All
    assembled differently. If you are lucky you can get something that works.