Thread: Commlite AEF-MFT Booster Testing on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

1. #1 Commlite AEF-MFT Booster Testing on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=IjlfAM01DjQ

Has anybody ever tried one of these? I noticed decent reviews on Amazon.

How is it a "test"? No footage samples out of camera? How is the corner sharpness, it there introduction of CA? How is light drop off in the corners in lower value apertures? Basically, unless you are shooting dedicated charts, there is no way of judging IQ of any lens or booster.

I think the general consensus is that most focal reducers other than metabones results in significantly degraded image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    I think the general consensus is that most focal reducers other than metabones results in significantly degraded image quality.
    Not in my experience. I own four focal reducers - 2 x Metabones, & 2 x Mitakon Zhongyi Turbo II.

The Zhongyi Turbo II are very good - optically almost indistinguishable from the Metabones focal reducers (and they're passive - no electronic contacts). If anything, the big thing to watch out for with the Turbo II is the tendency to flare - adds a blue tinge when it happens. I have no experience with any other focal reducers, so can't comment on them.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    Not in my experience. I own four focal reducers - 2 x Metabones, & 2 x Mitakon Zhongyi Turbo II.

The Zhongyi Turbo II are very good - optically almost indistinguishable from the Metabones focal reducers (and they're passive - no electronic contacts).
    Do you have any vignetting problems with the Lens turbo? I have one, as well as a Metabones BMPCC speedbooster, and am wondering if I need a real Speedbooster to correct the issue with the Pocket4K. Fast lenses, with large rear elements (<f1.8) seem to be the most affected, as well as extreme wide angles lenses (<18mm). I think it’s because the LT has a significantly smaller front element compared to the Metabones.
    6EE929C8-47B7-4142-96F4-452B8CAE84BC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicolour View Post
    Do you have any vignetting problems with the Lens turbo? I have one, as well as a Metabones BMPCC speedbooster, and am wondering if I need a real Speedbooster to correct the issue with the Pocket4K. Fast lenses, with large rear elements (<f1.8) seem to be the most affected, as well as extreme wide angles lenses (<18mm). I think it’s because the LT has a significantly smaller front element compared to the Metabones.
    6EE929C8-47B7-4142-96F4-452B8CAE84BC.jpg
    Any vignetting shouldn't be coming from the size of the other booster's lens in your case because a wide lens element will fully cover the smaller booster's lens.
    Wide open there is always a chance that it could introduce some other types of optical issues though. There are some fast and large lenses that have problems with the Metabones too, when shot wide open.

Being a "lens in front of a lens" it's a condition that cannot be perfect in all cases, but the good ones really do perform very well.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post

The Zhongyi Turbo II are very good - optically almost indistinguishable from the Metabones focal reducers (and they're passive - no electronic contacts). If anything, the big thing to watch out for with the Turbo II is the tendency to flare - adds a blue tinge when it happens. I have no experience with any other focal reducers, so can't comment on them.
    This is my experience with the Mitakon Zhongyi too.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Afte the comments here I was looking into the "Zhongyi Turbo II"

And found this comparison videos...
    and the flares, vignetting, color and everything else is far away from metabone.

Viltrox EF-M2, Mitakon Zhongyi and RJ Lens Turbo | Focal Reducer Shootout
    https://youtu.be/uGLx5plyZg0

Buy whatever you want. I am not even a metabone fanboy. (pins broke and
    communication sucks sometimes. I would love an alternative speedbooster.)
    But whenever I see video tests I say: "Fuck it, I go with metabone again)

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    Afte the comments here I was looking into the "Zhongyi Turbo II"

And found this comparison videos...
    and the flares, vignetting, color and everything else is far away from metabone.

Viltrox EF-M2, Mitakon Zhongyi and RJ Lens Turbo | Focal Reducer Shootout
    https://youtu.be/uGLx5plyZg0

Buy whatever you want. I am not even a metabone fanboy. (pins broke and
    communication sucks sometimes. I would love an alternative speedbooster.)
    But whenever I see video tests I say: "Fuck it, I go with metabone again)
    Nobody ever liked the old original Zhongyi v1. It was very quickly replaced by the v2. I don't even know how he found one in 2018. Both versions are still pretty old in the scheme of things.
    I have the v2 and Metabones, and while my Zhongyi does flare more and can have a blue hue to the flare, it performs vastly better than what is shown in this video, and when used anywhere except bright outdoor sunlight it is very acceptably similar to my Metabones.