Thread: Laptop Enabled thunderbolt for ultra studio mini

1. #1 Laptop Enabled thunderbolt for ultra studio mini 
    Team. I have been looking at laptops that can use the thunderbolt ultra studio mini monitor since my motherboard is not compatible with the PCI-E version. I've been looking at some gaming laptops but apparently some of them just have USB-C and not thunderbolt enabled. I am trying to use an HDR monitor with resolve and i think this route will be the cheapest route. Thank you in advance.

Keep in mind that they haven't updated the thunderbolt mini monitor to 4k and the connection is thunderbolt 2. You have to get the Apple thunderbolt 3-2 adapter which is pricey, generic USB-c to Mini DisplayPort don't pass the right signal, also they don't even include a thunderbolt cable so you need to add that as well. I can't help you with what computer to get but I had to learn what adapter does what when I got my new iMac. The thunderbolt adapter only passes thunderbolt, so works fine with my mini monitor, but doesn't pass display port for my second monitor. Fortunately cheap amazon displayport adapter works fine in the signal chain of my old Cinema Display, but was hoping would pass thunderbolt because it was way cheaper, no go there. So yeah you'll probably have to find USB-c that is also specked as thunderbolt they are not interchangeable even though the plug is the same.

3. #3 Monitor Interface .. 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfilmz View Post
    Team. I have been looking at laptops that can use the thunderbolt ultra studio mini monitor since my motherboard is not compatible with the PCI-E version. I've been looking at some gaming laptops but apparently some of them just have USB-C and not thunderbolt enabled. I am trying to use an HDR monitor with resolve and i think this route will be the cheapest route. Thank you in advance.
    Hello my Friend . I don't think a Laptop is a good idea for using Resolve .. Laptops are not extremely Powerful .. Their Display .. is just a display ... et le reste est du mÍme tonneau .. as we say in France ..
    I think a good Workstation in a Tower , is much better .. My Solution here is to use a Black Magic Intensity Pro 4 K , installed on a PCI E. slot .. But Note that this card does not allow for all resolutions , it's limited , you can find the Tech Specs here :

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/...ro4k/techspecs

As you can read HDMI Video Sampling is 4.4.4 4.2.2 and 4.2.0 , and HDMI Colour Precision is 8 and 10 bits RGB 444 up to 1080p 60 . It also outputs 8 , 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 in all modes.

I use it under Windows 8 pro , and outputs on HDMI .. it works , and I plan to puchase an Eizo CG279 , seems a reasonable solution .. It just seems to slow down the fluidity on my Timeline , but for Coloring it's not a big problem for me , it's easy to enable/disable it when I want more Speed for editing and reading my Timeline ..
    More than that , if you have some old Cassettes with valuable Memories , and a good Cassette Reader , you can digitize your old memories and make them undestructible ..

Unfortunately , I have no Thunderbolt Capability on my Asus Motherboard .. Thunderbolt Motherboards are not that common .. My next Motherboard will be a Thunderbolt one ..

Depending on what is your purpose , maybe the Intensity is not the good solution , Anyway before doing anything , feel free to ask to Black Magic Technical Service ..

Good Luck / My Best Regards from France / Mike ..

Tower is out of the question. My motherboard doesnt support the intensity pro ;(. Im sol

Could you not just build a tower with the right motherboard for less than what a decent laptop would cost? I really want that intensity pro to capture my old tapes while I still can, and have a 4k output for monitoring. But I need Blackmagic to release the thunderbolt 3 version sometime soon. I looked into getting a PCI box for it and holy crap they are expensive, nearly as much as the ones used for e-gpu