Thread: Highlight recovery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Highlight recovery 
    Hello,

How does the highlight recovery option for BRAW work exactly? If I check the button highlight recovery in resolve. It does not do anything at all(scopes dont change at all either, latest resolve build). Do I have to check this and then drop the HL in gamma lift gain? I figured it automatically recovered the highlights as best it could.

Thanks,

Highlight recovery is only when you clipped one channel, no mater if DNG or BRAW.
    If your material is not clipped, or you clipped all 3 channels, it's doing nothing.

No magic bullet here, for wrong exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Highlight recovery is only when you clipped one channel, no mater if DNG or BRAW.
    If your material is not clipped, or you clipped all 3 channels, it's doing nothing.

No magic bullet here, for wrong exposure.
    Thanks, yeah as far I can see there is nothing clipped, but still some background items are overexposed and I hoped to bring back detail in them.
    Last edited by polaroid22; 03-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Thanks, yeah as far I can see there is nothing clipped, but still some background items are overexposed and I hoped to bring back detail in them.
    If a part of an image is exposed incorrectly, but not clipped, then the highlight recovery will not affect it.

Quote Originally Posted by okb812 View Post
    If a part of an image is exposed incorrectly, but not clipped, then the highlight recovery will not affect it.
    Yeah, trying to wrap my head around it. There are some parts that are def overexposed as there is a rim light backlighting. So I can see the edge on the faces for example, buy why would it not pop up as clipped on my vector/histogram? Is it because it too small of a portion of the image?

In my experience those areas SHOULD show up, but they're just a tiny sliver. Maybe you're just missing them?

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Yeah, trying to wrap my head around it. There are some parts that are def overexposed as there is a rim light backlighting. So I can see the edge on the faces for example, buy why would it not pop up as clipped on my vector/histogram? Is it because it too small of a portion of the image?
    That doesn't mean they clipped. "Overexposed" is a relative term, "clipping" is hitting a hard data limit.

Highlight recovery fakes missing information in one channel by making inferences from retained information in other channels. (Sometimes with wonderful results saving an otherwise ruined shot.) It doesn't restore any recorded information. So if no channels are clipped, or if all channels are clipped, it has nothing to work with.

Some day - probably not far away - someone will apply machine learning to allow even better reconstruction of missing highlight information. (Let a computer look at 10 million images of a properly exposed window and it can do a pretty damn good job guessing what your overexposed window should look like.)
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

I was shooting in BRAW 12:1. This might be why it is not doing anything. Did anybody did some highlight recovery tests with all the braw settings?

Three stills grabbed from braw, cdng and prores HQ. All graded the same way (filmconvert on a node). Highlight recovery applied on the three files (in the raw tab for cdng, and in the primaries tab for braw and prores).

BRAW_1.15.2.jpg
    CDNG_1.16.1.jpg
    PRORES HQ_1.17.1.jpg

Damn Braw is holding up so well there especially when you see the prores HQ