Thread: BM Raw for the BMPCC4K Released

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    cDNG vs BRAW Q0 looks ok as for me at that article. Some aliasing is still visible at both samples but cDNG just produces harder pixel edges. Is it possible that BRAW 3:1 sample was just out of focus?

Seems like CDNG has more contrast.

Im glad im not the only one who thinks the braw is much softer.

When the Pocket 4K came out people be like "eww it's so sharp, it doesn't have that Pocket mojo". Now with Braw people be like "eww it's so soft"
    http://www.gamma-movie.com The IndieGathering 2016 best Sci-Fi feature screenplay.

Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    When the Pocket 4K came out people be like "eww it's so sharp, it doesn't have that Pocket mojo". Now with Braw people be like "eww it's so soft"
    Not me at least , bm finally listened. With prores there was some internal sharpening going on, I think they shut that off completely with BRAW somehow, and with CNDG its still on. Not sure, just guessing. Either way I am liking it much more

BRAW looks to me, like DNG with a good OLPF - something most folks wanted in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Seems like CDNG has more contrast.
    Seems like. For unknown reason cDNG also have more saturated color. It feels "deeper". This was clearly visible when first green screen 4.6K BRAW samples appears. This may be due different type of color management used in both formats internally somehow.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

While absolute resolving power can only ever be a good thing, I'd MUCH rather take smooth, moiré free images rather than a bit higher acuity with moiré popping in and out.

RED footage has always had that "strong OLPF" feeling, which they have compensated with higher-than-most source resolutions. And they manage to get by commercially.

When you're putting a cinema camera on a tripod and shoot a stationary scene, then you're not making movies—you are shooting 24 photos (or at last still frames) a second. A tester can tell themselves that is "interesting", but only in the sense of "let's go to IKEA with a Ferrari and see how much we can fit".

'Motion Picture'. 'Movie'. It's in the name. Motion blur is a huge part of the equation. Considering the package people get with the P4K, I don't think going anal over CDNG is the most productive thing.

I for one am very happy that BMD pushes forward steadily.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    cDNG vs BRAW Q0 looks ok as for me at that article. Some aliasing is still visible at both samples but cDNG just produces harder pixel edges. Is it possible that BRAW 3:1 sample was just out of focus?

OK, this Q0 sample is not THAT bad. Still complete texture loss in the cape but at least here the suit and the background are keeping some detail. I'm pixel peeping on 1:1 4.6k crops, so, this is actually something I could live with for most projects. But then, why bother? Q0 on average will have the same datarate of cDNG 3:1, so the only advantage is that you get one big file instead of a bunch of individual frame files. I'm not losing image quality over convenience, I'd be shooting with a different camera if that was my priority.

Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    It's not the same people. The people who complained about "too sharp" a few months ago are probably happy with the BRAW update. I never complained about "too sharp" but I'm complaining about "too soft" now.

I cannot get BRaw to show up in Resolve 15. It's just saying "Media Offline" but reading the clip info correctly. I can import ProRes no problem. I've been able to import BRaw from the UMP as well. Any thoughts on what this might be?

EDIT: I didn’t realize there was a recent Resolve update. Downloaded that and everything is working fine.
    Last edited by AaronChicago; 03-06-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Anyone on a Mac having problems getting their .braw files to play in the standalone Blackmagic RAW Player app? I just get the spinning beachball, then I have to force quit the program. No problems at all playing the files in Resolve, but the Player doesn't want to play ball.