Thread: I'll star it. NAB 2019 predictions thread

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    No, the misquote and poor copy on the initial marketing sheet, caused this whole miss information issue, this is well documented here and on the BM User site. B&H and Adorama both jumped to thhis conclusion. The original statement went something like this, “The VA allows control of the Micro camera (by displaying) the camera menu, over HDMI...” the [I]by displaying[I] part was omitted, and camera control was by allowing the camera settings to be seen on the VA so they could be changed (using the the camera buttons), not controlled directly by the VA. I am not looking up the exact quote, but this was the jest of what happened. Good night.

Wonder why from beginning Blackmagic don't just add LANC port to VA to control the camera. It is probably way simpler than control over HDMI and could be compatible with multiple camera models. Even small China company PortKeys already done this in their upcoming monitor. https://www.cinema5d.com/portkeys-bm5/ Not sure about quality and usability of their devices yet.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    No, the misquote and poor copy on the initial marketing sheet, caused this whole miss information issue, this is well documented here and on the BM User site. B&H and Adorama both jumped to thhis conclusion. The original statement went something like this, “The VA allows control of the Micro camera (by displaying) the camera menu, over HDMI...” the [I]by displaying[I] part was omitted, and camera control was by allowing the camera settings to be seen on the VA so they could be changed (using the the camera buttons), not controlled directly by the VA. I am not looking up the exact quote, but this was the jest of what happened. Good night.
    Here's a snapshot straight from BM from August 14th, 2015.

Maybe I am reading way too much into it (and the others are too), but that sounds like they are saying you can change the settings with it:

"The Blackmagic Video Assist gives you a quick and easy way to adjust the Micro Cinema Camera’s settings, check focus and more."

If it doesn't then I am wrong.

But either way I don't think it's a very good way to write (or even mention for that matter) that you can ONLY SEE the settings on the monitor.

YES...how else are you supposed to see and change the settings? YOU NEED A MONITOR!

But maybe that's exactly what they meant. Use this monitor to see your menu, BUT change the settings WITH THE BUTTONS.

And that's all good, but I don't blame B&H and Adorama or anyone else whom may have been confused.

BM.jpg

Hope BM starts taking time, and does slower and better development of any new cameras. For one, whatever they make,I would like to see something with good power solution and a real integrated EVF, that has decent optics. Except URSA, UMP, which by design was implemented for separate battery and VF solution, all the rest of cameras are completely inadequate as far as power and monitoring. What is a point of making a "pocket"- small footprint camera, which you need to expand by rigging to make it work. It's neither money, nor volume/weight savings.

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    WAs just thinking...they could be coming out with wireless new Video assists this year.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
    What is a point of making a "pocket"- small footprint camera, which you need to expand by rigging to make it work. It's neither money, nor volume/weight savings.
    Well, that's a matter of opinion.

I actually think the Pocket 4k is perfect the way it is. For my needs, it doesn't need to be rigged up or have anything added.

Whack on a a lens, slip in a CFast card and battery, and away it goes. Every button dedicated for Cine use (not photo, except the single still frame button). Balanced audio in, and a big screen good enough for critical focal. There is NO other camera out there in a mirrorless/DLSR style body that is purely designed for cinema use. Everything else is a hybrid.

Would I welcome an EVF similar to FujiFilm X-T1+? Sure. Maybe in the next model. But right now, the Pocket 4k is totally usable straight out of the box with a few basic accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    Well, that's a matter of opinion.

I actually think the Pocket 4k is perfect the way it is. For my needs, it doesn't need to be rigged up or have anything added.

Whack on a a lens, slip in a CFast card and battery, and away it goes. Every button dedicated for Cine use (not photo, except the single still frame button). Balanced audio in, and a big screen good enough for critical focal. There is NO other camera out there in a mirrorless/DLSR style body that is purely designed for cinema use. Everything else is a hybrid.

Would I welcome an EVF similar to FujiFilm X-T1+? Sure. Maybe in the next model. But right now, the Pocket 4k is totally usable straight out of the box with a few basic accessories.
    Exactly what i was thinking. I'm so fed up with rigging amd making a small camera huge just because i'm too lazy to change a battery. I'll also be using it as is, just a lens and maybe a small microphone on top. No cage no nothing. And let's be honest, i see everybody complaining about the battery, 40-50 minutes of record time on a single small e6 is ok considering the huge screen, i'm actually surprised, the video assist 5 inch lasted about 20-30 without recording. People complain that its a small battery and the same people complained when they first saw the cam that its too big of a camera and its not a pocket sized, c'mon.

I also use mine basically naked. If you want to rig it, you can, but it doesn't NEED to be rigged.

My pocket is already rigged but the body is missing.

I would love to see a battery grip for the pocket 4K with a tray style insert similar to the ones on canon DSLRs. I would welcome the added height it would give the camera if it were form fitting and gave me 2x the battery life. Throw a couple 1/4-20 threads at the bottom for tripod plates/cages. I dunno, I feel like it would well really wel haha