Thread: Does anyone use a Waccom tablet with resolve?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Does anyone use a Waccom tablet with resolve? 
    Noticed this on all of the fancy workstations on the blackmagic site. The desks all have pen tablets on them, so wondering if anyone here uses one and what benefits there would be. I haven't gotten into fusion yet, is there drawing functionality in there? I can't imagine it being any more useful than a mouse for editing or grading. I suppose it might be more precise for drawing mattes.

I'm curious as well. I have thought of getting a pen tablet for a while now but not sure how effective or productive I will be it. As you said - it might be more precise for drawing mattes.

could not live without a Wacom, like really not
    better precision for everything involving dealing directly with the ui
    other software incorprate a tablet more elegantly, esp Nuocda and Baselight, but it's still a huge help in Resolve

Dermot, can you kindly elaborate some of the uses with Resolve where the Wacom tablet is valuable? Does Resolve only support the Wacom or any USB tablet? Finally, what is the ideal size to get? Thanks.

At work I see several editors using a wacom with Avid. They swear by it, but I tried it, and found it to be mostly a headache. I did like color correcting with it, as making incremental changes was very easy and precise (in comparison to a mouse).

Perhaps if I took the time to practice using a wacom to edit with I'd like it, but I don't feel any pressing need to do that.

A Resolve micro panel can be had for <$1000. Any color panel is going to be far superior to a tablet interface. I pondered the idea of using a tablet with Resolve before I started using a mini panel. Would have been a foolish investment on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    A Resolve micro panel can be had for <$1000. Any color panel is going to be far superior to a tablet interface. I pondered the idea of using a tablet with Resolve before I started using a mini panel. Would have been a foolish investment on my part.
    That makes sense if you're getting the tablet that's in the price range of a mini panel. There are Wacom tablets that 's $200 and that's 5x less assuming they are compatible and does the job. Since Resolve 12.5, I have been using the Tangent Element Vu app for Android with a super cheap Android desktop tablet that I found on eBay. I'm on Resolve 15 now and it still does the job for me. The dials are precise and does not jump so I can grade it to the slightest increment or decrement. Here's a video I made several years ago when I first set it up. It's a home-brew and by no means a BMD micro-panel but it does the job for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N20-EB6dKyA
    Last edited by EYu; 03-01-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Can't live without the tablet or my Logitech g13. Control surface is a no brainier. Tablet makes the whole process more organic for me. It helps me flow better. Not to mention it's epic if you do a lot of windows, curves, qualifiers etc.

Which tablet model do folks recommend for an initial attempt to integrate it into a workflow? Also, are folks here also finding it useful for Premiere Pro editing?

Quote Originally Posted by _OZ View Post
    Which tablet model do folks recommend for an initial attempt to integrate it into a workflow? Also, are folks here also finding it useful for Premiere Pro editing?
    I use Wacom Intuos Pro Creative Pen Tablet (Medium), absolutely it’s great with PP or AE/ PS or whatever else.