Thread: What's the correct workflow for Rseolve?

1. #1 What's the correct workflow for Rseolve? 
    When it comes to primary grading, is it doing color space and gamma transform then balance the correct process or the other way around?

There is no such a thing as "correct workflow" for Resolve Same result could be reached with many different ways.
    For example most people here set timeline color space to Rec709, which is wrong from my point of view because limits usable output gamut and produce DSLR plastic-look gradings.

I suggest to learn how to grade in LOG gamma and wide gamut timeline and add Color Space Transform node in the end. See my workflow attempts here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?21...l=1#post246905

In last versions of Resolve you can also set timeline to RED Wide Gamut combined with RED Log3G10 gamma curve and add RED IPP2 LUTs https://www.red.com/downloads/option...6126&version=4 in the end to get different highlights rolloff and contrast look. Works really great and simple for beginning.
    Resolve project settings have build-in RED IPP2 transformation options but it is not added yet to in Color Space Transform Node, so you need to use LUTs if you would like to keep all things controlled on timeline but not in Project Color settings.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

This chart was sent to me a couple of years ago. IMHO the manual is really good.

Edited: Page 2121 in the current manual.

Order.jpg
    Last edited by Marshall Harrington; 02-22-2019 at 12:02 PM.

that chart shows the order of operations that Resolve computes ,
    not really relevant to where to place a certain operation in a node tree, unless you are doing all correcctions in one node....

Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    that chart shows the order of operations that Resolve computes ,
    not really relevant to where to place a certain operation in a node tree, unless you are doing all correcctions in one node....
    Still very good to know. If not by heart, at least by existence so that one can refer to it.

That chart would probably allow for some node clean-up among some users, since it might not be necessary to sequentialise several nodes if the operations already are ordered by the app.

A user drops three nodes in: noise reduction --> followed by a LUT node --> followed by a sharpening node. Well, that's just one node. That sequence is already in there. But of course, often various operations might need unique qualifiers and then you still need separate nodes so...

Anyway, as a user becomes more familiar with color grading and start using pre built node trees, those recurring structures might also benefit from being as efficient as possible.

I've always followed Juan Melara's process in this (old) blog post:
    http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/basic-...-of-operations

That, plus some of his new tips really help depending on what you're doing:
    An easier way to grade log footage

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    This chart was sent to me a couple of years ago. IMHO the manual is really good.

Edited: Page 2121 in the current manual.

Order.jpg
    Not sure which manual is current manual coz I can't find it on the Resolve 15 manual.

Ellory, when I open the manual linked from the software (from help) it's still showing page 2121. I've noticed that the manual has not kept pace with many of the updates. But it's still amazingly detailed. Speaking of Ramen…

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    Ellory, when I open the manual linked from the software (from help) it's still showing page 2121. I've noticed that the manual has not kept pace with many of the updates. But it's still amazingly detailed. Speaking of Ramen…
    I will look at the online help today. Thanks Marshall. Yes, speaking of Ramen, let's do that soon.