Thread: Panasonic 14-42 kit lens + pocket 4k?

1. #1 Panasonic 14-42 kit lens + pocket 4k? 
    Anyone tried this Panasonic kit lens out on the pocket 4k? I don't have any MFT lenses atm and just want to grab a cheap native one as a back up.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._gx8_dual.html

Can anyone comment on its image quality and if the in body toggel for OIS successfully toogels on and off since the lens doesn't have a physical switch?

Cheers!

I've used it before on the original Pocket. OIS works like a charm and it's okay. The image is contrasty but you can always adjust in post.

I usually pay way less attention to lenses than most here but I had it for the original Pocket and absolutely hated it. 'Unaesthetic softness' I'd describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    I usually pay way less attention to lenses than most here but I had it for the original Pocket and absolutely hated it. 'Unaesthetic softness' I'd describe it.
    Hmm that's not great haha, you think the 4k might give it a bit more punch? The original pocket was on the softer side so adding more softness was never good!

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    On the contrary with respect and not to detract from the OP's inquiry, I love the pocket. It is one cam-B that actually came as close to the Arri Alexa when we matched shots, just a tad behind the old Cinema Camera 2.5K. I've shot with my pocket using PL mounted Angie and Arri Master primes. It's all about the lenses no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    On the contrary with respect and not to detract from the OP's inquiry, I love the pocket. It is one cam-B that actually came as close to the Arri Alexa when we matched shots, just a tad behind the old Cinema Camera 2.5K. I've shot with my pocket using PL mounted Angie and Arri Master primes. It's all about the lenses no doubt.
    I think stip was mentioning that the lens caused the softness not the pocket.

That being said I've done some research and there's an original version of the Panasonic 14-42 and a mkii version which is smaller with better optics. Seems the mk ii is decent while the original is dreadful so would be an easy mistake to pick up the original which looks similar. The original has a 52mm filter thread and the mkii has a 46mm thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I think stip was mentioning that the lens caused the softness not the pocket.

That being said I've done some research and there's an original version of the Panasonic 14-42 and a mkii version which is smaller with better optics. Seems the mk ii is decent while the original is dreadful so would be an easy mistake to pick up the original which looks similar. The original has a 52mm filter thread and the mkii has a 46mm thread.

Yes I meant the lens - I love the original pocket.

I had the old version of this lens, so the mkII version might be worth a try.

CThe 14-42 is one of the worst performers across the board when compared to other possible choices. If you need a pancake zoom for compactness on the cheap, go for it. Otherwise avoid avoid avoid.

To be clear, with skill and experience you can get good images out of any lens. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a “dull knife” if you would.

Edit: sorry I thought you said Olympus 14-42. The panasonic is marginally better, but the point still stands. With the Panny you lose the compactness of the Olympus so it kind of defeats the purpose. Look online for images from repective primes at various focal lengths and compare them to images across the 14-42 range. You’ll see what I mean. If you already have lenses (albeit non-mft) I would suggest investing that money into support like heads, lights, sound equipment, filters etc.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 02-23-2019 at 02:07 PM.