Thread: SLR Magic MicroPrime Cine Lenses

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ewik View Post
    How well do these match the APO set?
    I was at SLR Magic HQ back in November to pick up my 32mm APO in person, and while there Andrew let me try out one of the MicroPrime prototypes on my Pocket 4K (He later posted an Instagram pic here). I asked him that same question (how well would these intercut with the APO series?), and he advised against it. We mounted both my new 32mm APO and the Microprime prototype to a Denz Portable Lens Checker to compare, and the difference in rendering was pretty clear.
    That isn't to say the MicroPrime's aren't great lenses, just that they aren't in the same level of playground as the APO series. They shouldn't be when you consider the price difference. That said, Andrew did stress that the MicroPrimes do implement a number of things he learned from designing the APO's.
    Similar to the APO series, they are fantastic lenses for the price point they are at.
    Last edited by PBowen; 03-19-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: tweak

Who needs these or Veydras when Meike's gonna carbon copy them soon after?

From some of the tests of the Mike 25mm, it has more purple fringing and a tad more distortion than the Veydra, somit is not an exact clone. You get what you pay for in the end. Personally I would pay the difference for imporved optical performance., and reliability in the lens build.
    Cheers

Review by Cinema5d.
    https://www.cinema5d.com/slr-magic-m...lenses-review/

super soft. Only sharp in the center. Gets better at F5.6
    PASS.

And I thought Rokinon/Samyang was bad.

I would love to spend up to 1000 Bucks for a "cheap CINE lens"
    But those "cine lenses" for 400 Bucks just sucks.

This is really strange image look of those SLR Magics. Seems exact like their older not too sharp Cine MFT models. But it is great to have an options. Nothing close to their high end APO HyperPrime family lenses.

Hope that Laowa will release more matched MFT lenses. Their 7.5mm model is on the sharp side but same time looks cinematic. Or maybe ZY Optics add wider options like this http://zyoptics.net/product/mitakon-...r-25mm-f-0-95/
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Unless you are using rye SLR APOs, the soft, dreamy look wide open is a fairly constant trait amount the less expensive SLR Magic cine lenses, the Hyoerprimes do this also, some more than others, depending on the lens. The 18mm MicroPrime tested out nicely on the on the Pocket 4K, the 12mm is softer than the 18mm, and I too would give this 12mm a miss. The 25mm and up are 135mm/FF lenses, but if and when they are available in MFT mount, with the smaller MFT sensor (compared to 135mm/FF) they should do well, as you re using the sweet center area of the projected Image circle.

For a S35 or larger sensor camera, would look to the APOs over these Microprimes, with the exception of perhaps the 18mm.
    Cheers

"soft, dreamy look" ? ... No. it is just a bad lens. You could say the same about the "Viltrox" Adapter. .. soft, dreamy. Makes no sense.

If you want a real "soft, dreamy look" get real vintage lenses or buy Pro Mist Filter or something.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    Review by Cinema5d.
    https://www.cinema5d.com/slr-magic-m...lenses-review/

Super soft. Only sharp in the center. Gets better at F5.6 PASS.
    Yeah, that Cinema5D review is a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    I would love to spend up to 1000 Bucks for a "cheap CINE lens"
    +1.

We're assuming Veydra as a company is dead, right? I'm skeptical of the similar looking Meike Cinema Lens - hopefully we'll start seeing more thorough reviews. The 25mm has been out for a few months now, and they're starting to ship the 16mm.

This guy claims that the Veydra & Meike are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Yeah, that Cinema5D review is a bummer.

+1.

We're assuming Veydra as a company is dead, right? I'm skeptical of the similar looking Meike Cinema Lens - hopefully we'll start seeing more thorough reviews. The 25mm has been out for a few months now, and they're starting to ship the 16mm.

This guy claims that the Veydra & Meike are the same.
    Someonee from Veydra recently announced on Facebook that they're in the process of coming back.

Woah, you're right. I wonder what's up? In August 2018 he acknowledges "issues with supply." And then the next post is on March 25, 2019, in which he writes, "Veydra is currently not fulfilling orders primarily due to supply chain and related issues pertaining to our Mini Prime lenses."

Ugh, how long will we have to wait? Hopefully they'll show up to NAB with a whole truckload of new Veydra MFT!