Thread: Ursa Mini Pro Quality Control (QC)?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa Mini Pro Quality Control (QC)? 
    Hi,

I've ordered an Ursa Mini Pro and wondered how people were finding the QC now it has been out for a year or so? Are there any things I should look out for or check?

Thanks.

Yep, same here, I'm buying one next month and I'd like to know this as well.

I shot on a feature on 2 UMPs and both ultimately developed a dead pixel. Both were RMA'd, and both work great now. Otherwise it's been smooth sailing.

For anybody interested I picked it up last week and all seems good. The rubber cover on the side handle screw fell off and I can't get it stuck back in - but otherwise happy.

Thanks for the replies guys.

What about FPN?
    My UM 4,6K is VERY clean... I'd love to have at least the same... I don't care much about 1600 or 3200 ISO.

I know what you guys are going to say but... I wonder if it makes sense to buy an UMP this late... when I got my UM4,6k I missed the UMP by only a couple of months

BRAW isn't currently on the 4.6K, nor is the new debayer, nor v4 color matrix. UMP has all of them. Noise performance on the Ursa Mini Pro is, in my experience, better than the 4.6K and I do own both. You can never predict what BMD will do next, but I think, no matter what they announce at NAB, the Ursa Mini Pro is a solid investment if it meets your needs today. BRAW is a wonderful codec and the workflow is great.

Well, the plastic knobs for audio levels and menu control keep falling apart, you should get a few for backup. But other than that, ours is rock solid.

Regarding FPN I haven't noticed any. Shooting BRAW exclusively, pretty much 8:1 compression, I've shot at both 1600 and 3200 successfully. I'm yet to use it on a job, but so far I'd have no concerns.

I had questioned buying this late into the camera's cycle but I needed a new camera, and at $8004AUD I couldn't ask for better. I've shot extensively on Alexa and Red (MX, Dragon and Helium) and for the work I do, I'd be throwing tens of thousands of dollars down the drain buying into Red over BM. Very happy with the UMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Well, the plastic knobs for audio levels and menu control keep falling apart, you should get a few for backup. But other than that, ours is rock solid.
    That would be one of my few complaints. I like physical access to ND and volume, but I prefer the sleaker body design of Red and Arri, the UMP is a bit too broadcast camera with buttons and toggles I don't think I'll ever use.

That beind said, I find the side handle surprisingly comfortable - though I'd prefer a nice contoured wooden grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie LeJeune View Post
    BRAW isn't currently on the 4.6K, nor is the new debayer, nor v4 color matrix. UMP has all of them. Noise performance on the Ursa Mini Pro is, in my experience, better than the 4.6K and I do own both. You can never predict what BMD will do next, but I think, no matter what they announce at NAB, the Ursa Mini Pro is a solid investment if it meets your needs today. BRAW is a wonderful codec and the workflow is great.
    If you shoot CinemaDNG, you can apply the new debayer and Ver4 color science, to any 4.6k footage in the RAW tab in Resolve. In fact, you can even apply the new color science to any old footage shot with it in CinemaDNG. I tested it on old footage from my first UM46k that I got back in February of 2016, and the result was amazing.

I now have the UMP and rarely shoot BRAW. I found the shadows go blue in BRAW when you lift, and there's a plasticky look to the footage. I prefer ProRes or CinemaDNG. BRAW is great, but not a replacement for CinemaDNG, in my opinion. Of course, it's great to be able to shoot a lot of footage when you need to on a SD card in BRAW.