Thread: Would you trade your BM Cinema Camera 2.5 for the new BM Pocket 4K?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'll assume your cinema camera is ef mount. The new pocket 4k sensor is bigger so you don't need a speedbooster but will need an adapter of some sort. If electronic canon lenses you might as well just go for speedbooster though as the adapter cost isn't much different from one with no glass and you would have super35 equivalent camera. If you are using manual glass then $10 adapter and you are done. You can also adapt your ssd's to USB-c, but not as elegant as just grabbing Samsung t5, move old drives to edit room.

You could buy 3 used cinema camera's for one used pocket 4K. Just saying ^^, I would not hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I'll assume your cinema camera is ef mount. The new pocket 4k sensor is bigger so you don't need a speedbooster but will need an adapter of some sort. If electronic canon lenses you might as well just go for speedbooster though as the adapter cost isn't much different from one with no glass and you would have super35 equivalent camera. If you are using manual glass then $10 adapter and you are done. You can also adapt your ssd's to USB-c, but not as elegant as just grabbing Samsung t5, move old drives to edit room.

Thanks dop 16. That info is very helpful. I'm a writer/director/actor not a DP - but I sometimes have to shoot my own stuff due to budget restrictions. Yes my cinema camera is an EF mount. And I have the Sigma (EF) 17-50 and the Tokina (EF) 11-16 and also the panny 12-35 for my pocket 2.5k. I will have to research what I might need in regards to adapters. I have 2 sandisk 240gb SSD - that would be great if I could adapt to USB C - but the T5 is just a hundred bucks. I guess my original post was misleading by saying "TRADE" Like there was a guy on the corner in front of a bodega holding a cup of coffee wanting to trade cameras I meant since I was only shooting pro res HQ on my cinema camera - was it worth moving up to the pocket 4k and shooting Pro res HQ on there and getting 60fps - not that i use that stuff much. Anyway - I appreciate everyones comments. Picking up the camera today

The other thing too is that not only is the sensor slightly bigger on the pocket 4k but since it is a mft mount you can use speed boosters and use more of the glass with your canon lenses, while increasing the effective light the sensor gets. Me personally i would keep the original cam as a backup camera/B cam as im using 2 bmpcc as backup to my bmpcc4k. But i think of the bmpcc4k more like a successor top the original cinema camera then the bmpcc. For me the extra frame rates alone made the switch worth it.

Once you get used to being able to reframe a 4K shot for 1080P, it's difficult to imagine losing that ability. For that reason alone, I would strongly consider the P4K if I were in your shoes.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

I suppose if you can afford to take delivery without selling stuff to make room, then it becomes another tool on the shelf. Shoot comparisons and find out what you like.

The 12-35 is a decent range for narrative, 25mm is about normal on that camera, so you don't need to adapt your other lenses right away, also you can take the sd cards from original pocket cam for 1080 prores and possibly some flavours of 4k. Frame rates and low light sensitivity are new tools you don't currently have, I believe there is improved rolling shutter as well as moire but you need to test for yourself to know if you need this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I suppose if you can afford to take delivery without selling stuff to make room, then it becomes another tool on the shelf. Shoot comparisons and find out what you like.

The 12-35 is a decent range for narrative, 25mm is about normal on that camera, so you don't need to adapt your other lenses right away, also you can take the sd cards from original pocket cam for 1080 prores and possibly some flavours of 4k. Frame rates and low light sensitivity are new tools you don't currently have, I believe there is improved rolling shutter as well as moire but you need to test for yourself to know if you need this stuff.

Yes the low light feature will be welcomed as well as the additional frame rates.
    btw - i got my camera today - someone on the board here had suggested trying a smaller dealer vs B&H, etc.
    I think I put my name down a month ago?
    I got mine from Kellards Photo in NYC.
    Good luck - and thanks again for yer suggestions people and DOP 16.

Is the lack of 4K hurting your narrative? If so definitely get the P4K. If not, why fix what isn't broken?

Edit:Enjoy!

Well that was the issue - i hate 'fixing what's not broken' - i make indie narrative features.
    And i have seen at festivals what i was shooting blown up and it looked pretty good to me.
    As i said somewhere here - with the original pocket and cinema camera i was only shooting prores HQ. Never raw.
    Well - i have it now - the new pocket and its great having the low light feature, and 60fps if i need it.
    Also - with hard drives getting cheaper, etc I might find myself shooting 4 k in the near future especially doing any visual effects, etc.
    And it wasn't that expensive - so all things being equal

How does the dynamic range compare to the BMCC?

The BMCC 2.5k has a beautiful range that ive only seen rivaled by the ursa mini pro (when comparing to the BMD line up). The 4K Production cam took a massive hit in range, as did the 4K Ursa.