Thread: BM firmware 6.1 The Good and The Bad

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 117 of 117
  1. #111  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    Data point of one? One of many. Never posted the issues with those cameras at the time. How many others did the same on known searchable issues . It seems you’re a statistician in your own make believe world.
    What?! Why wouldn't the same logic be applicable to Blackmagic? I think we all know for every person who posts about a problem with their camera there are 100 or 1000 or more with the same problem which is either unnoticed or simply not posted about. Why would this be unique to Canon? That is a bizarre bit of logic. No one is talking about ABSOLUTE numbers. We are only comparing RELATIVE numbers. The forum posts are a canary in the coal mine. They aren't the running sum total of EVERYONE who has had an issue. Plenty of people have problems with BM cameras and never post about them. Why would you assume otherwise?

    If BM has 100 online complaints and Canon has 5 we are inferring Canon is more reliable. We are not making any commentary on what the ABSOLUTE numbers are. It is all RELATIVE, Einstein.

    Playing these weird logical fallacy games only weakens your argument. You aren't convincing anyone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #112  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Graz, Austria
    Posts
    154
    Speaking of logical fallacies:

    Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Plenty of people have problems with BM cameras and never post about them. Why would you assume otherwise?
    So if those "plenty of people" never post about them - how do you know that those are having problems? Is that your assumption "because I think so it must be true"?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #113  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Niessner View Post
    Speaking of logical fallacies:



    So if those "plenty of people" never post about them - how do you know that those are having problems? Is that your assumption "because I think so it must be true"?

    My assumption is Canon and BM owners post on forums about issues with their gear at similar rates. Whether that rate is 1:1,000 or 1:10,000 is irrelevant. Again the RELATIVE rate is what is important. Do you think the RELATIVE rate is different?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #114  
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Not hard to believe. But you're a data point of one.
    Well actually a data point of 6.

    Of the six brands mentioned only one didn’t need to RMA.

    It’s silly to try and draw conclusions from forums like this.

    I do bridle at generic faults attributed to BMD cameras. I remember seeing “overheating” as a common complaint on the OG BMCC.

    They don’t overheat ever. They just don’t. They’ll get hot enou that you can’t touch them. But they’ll still work. But they don’t shutdown because of overheating. So how does anyone know ?

    Unless I see well documented evidence or hear it first hand from a trusted source I’m pretty skeptical about most of these rumours for all brands.

    One caught fire once and then it suddenly became a giant issue that cameras were catching fire. When it was one. And probably because of a bad battery.

    RED are plagued by similar rumours. But you can’t bring that up on the RED forum because you’d get lynched.

    Meanwhile I’ve heard many stories first hand from my own crew about a supposedly mature camera system on a very high profile streaming show that I found to be truly eyebrow raising.

    I’ve seen plenty of BMD issues with cameras. But I’ve also had plenty with other brands too including Arri. I don’t think they’re playing above average.

    JB

    PS yeah I lost my battery door of one of my P4Ks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #115  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Graz, Austria
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    My assumption is Canon and BM owners post on forums about issues with their gear at similar rates. Whether that rate is 1:1,000 or 1:10,000 is irrelevant. Again the RELATIVE rate is what is important. Do you think the RELATIVE rate is different?
    You did not answer my question which there was:
    So if those "plenty of people" never post about them - how do you know that those are having problems?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #116  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Not hard to believe. But you're a data point of one. There are also chain smokers that live to be 98, cancer free. Doesn't mean that cigarettes are good for you. ;-)
    I'm pretty sure you and all of us are data points of one here Joe - why is yours salient and his called out?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #117  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    824
    How about we instead form a praying party to hope our pre-orders come in?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Firmware 4.8
    By Taikonaut in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-24-2017, 07:15 AM
  2. Firmware 2.1
    By CaptainHook in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 03-30-2015, 10:22 AM
  3. Firmware 1.8 is here! 4K RAW
    By ponysmasher in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 261
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 12:47 PM
  4. Firmware 1.61 available
    By gmfb in forum BMCuser News & Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 09:32 PM
  5. Firmware 1.3
    By Mestizo Devon in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •