Thread: BMPCC 4K as 2nd cam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Metabones is NOT the only option. That assumes that you must use an optical focal reducer. You can also use a simple mechanical adapter for a fraction of the cost. There was life before SpeedBoosters. ;-)
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Some people who pre-ordered in late April are still waiting for their P4K. I think Stateside you might find a smaller dealer and get the camera more quickly. The major outlets have long waiting lists.
    Feedback? There's quite a few video reviews and footage examples on Youtube now. Some very nice footage and knowledgeable commentary. Look out for the naysayers who don't understand the typical P4K customer though.
    It's not a vlogging camera or a cheap run and gun. It needs accessories. It doesn't do continuous autofocus etc.

Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys... So I just went to BH to check out the bmpcc 4k. Really lovely design, form factor and menu, etc. But when I asked him about order time he kind of gave me a "you don't want to know" look. Or he really just didn't know. Every question I asked about user feedback he couldn't answer because he said there have been so few users that there hasn't been much or any feedback in person. Anyway, he mentioned something about getting my camera in June or July so I just told him I'd think about it. He attributes it to BM just being a smaller company and not having the the production capacity..Totally cool and knowledgeable guy but sort of depressing waiting that long. Can anyone chime in on how long it took for their camera to arrive from BH or Adorama or anywhere else? Thanks
    Forget b&h and adorama. Youíre going to have to sit and make some calls to smaller dealers and find out their inventory possibly cutting down the wait time.You can also pay more if itís urgent by buying off eBay.

I agree with chrisso. The camera makes very nice footage. For the most part it's a manual camera. As Mico pointed out the battery life is low. I get less than he does. Original Canon batteries work best. But a power option is a probable necessity, at least some of the time. I've got three setups. 1: As small as I can be where I use the canon batteries. 2: On a tripod where I use a v-lock with a distribution plate to power other devices. 3: on a stabilizer where I either use the camera batteries or the stabilizer battery. In most of the cases I'm using a cage either half or full. It's easier than taking it off.

I'm super pleased with the footage. Can't wait for BRAW.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Metabones is NOT the only option. That assumes that you must use an optical focal reducer. You can also use a simple mechanical adapter for a fraction of the cost. There was life before SpeedBoosters. ;-)
    OP said metabones was half the cost of camera. That’s the ef speedbooster.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Nice to know. I don't need a speedbooster. Just aperture control/focal length meter. Can you link to a few?

Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    Forget b&h and adorama. You’re going to have to sit and make some calls to smaller dealers and find out their inventory possibly cutting down the wait time.You can also pay more if it’s urgent by buying off eBay.
    Ok thanks for the advice.

I know this doesn't go here but it might be of particular interest to you, so I'll leave it in this thread. check out: https://lensfinder.com/posts/all-min...enses-overview.

I started in stills with a Minolta SRT-101 with a Rokkor 50mm f1.2. Not sure what happened to that lens but I still have the camera with a 58mm f1.4. I loved both those lenses. They were the beginning of my odyssey into glass.

Seems like with an adapter you can add this glass for very little money. Might be worth a try.

B&H turned from a great store to lot' of boxes. It will be far easier to find your camera at a smaller retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
    B&H turned from a great store to lot' of boxes. It will be far easier to find your camera at a smaller retailer.
    I second this, I got mine at Kellards NYC in October, no pre-order. I just emailed and asked to be notified when they got a batch in and when they emailed, i ordered within minutes, got it a couple days later.

In terms of cameras - having used both the c100 and p4k - the p4k blows the c100 out of the water image wise. You'll need an external battery, unless you don't mind changing the battery on the p4k every 35 minutes, and you'll need to get an adapter for your audio (xlr to mini xlr etc....) but other than some small adaptations the image out of the p4k is so beyond superior I can't imagine any reason why you'd still use the c100 as the 'a' cam.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.