Thread: BMPCC 4K as 2nd cam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 BMPCC 4K as 2nd cam 
    Hi all. Thinking of adding bmpcc 4k as 2nd to my C100. The reasons are would love ability to shoot 4K, slow mo and robust codec at that price point. I'm mostly a solo verite doc shooter.

My concerns with bmpcc are:
    1). Short battery life. I hate adding bulky batteries. Any chance a firmware upgrade can extend internal battery? I'm pretty sure this is hardware based...
    2). Adapter cost. I want to use my ef lenses, but the metabones is half the cost of the camera. Any other budget friendly adapters?
    3). Matching to c100. Has anyone tried? I owned the 2.5k and the color IMO was pretty neutral. How about the bmpcc?

Thoughts? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Hi all. Thinking of adding bmpcc 4k as 2nd to my C100. The reasons are would love ability to shoot 4K, slow mo and robust codec at that price point. I'm mostly a solo verite doc shooter.

My concerns with bmpcc are:
    1). Short battery life. I hate adding bulky batteries. Any chance a firmware upgrade can extend internal battery? I'm pretty sure this is hardware based...
    2). Adapter cost. I want to use my ef lenses, but the metabones is half the cost of the camera. Any other budget friendly adapters?
    3). Matching to c100. Has anyone tried? I owned the 2.5k and the color IMO was pretty neutral. How about the bmpcc?

Thoughts? Thanks
    First get a cage for the camera. I assume the bulky batteries comment means you want to go handheld so:

1) Get a bunch of real canon batteries for longest runtime, but if that's still not your kind of thing then get a small v lock mount plate and attach it to the bottom of the cage and buy yourself some of the new mini v lock batteries several companies have come out with like the hawks wood's. Some bulk but no worries on battery time.

Or put a canon battery in the camera and get a small usb c power pack connected to the usb c connecter on camera, attach to bottom of cage and it will trickle charge the canon batt when the camera is off so you can lose the pack when you need to go less bulky.

Or wait for tilta to come out with their Sony np-f battery handgrip that attaches to their cage so you can use a bigger batt than the lpe6 for the camera that is more ergonomically pleasant and less bulky than attaching a external battery.

2) No. Metabones is the only option. The other most talked about, the Viltrox, has less than stellar optics if you're talking speed booster.
    Last edited by mico; 02-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks. So the oem Canon batteries will go 1hr?

Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Thanks. So the oem Canon batteries will go 1hr?
    Aprox. 45min. Some have gotten 50min.

In terms of color the BMCC and original pocket weren't necessarily "neutral". The Pocket 4K is more neutral actually. Just reds tend to be oversaturated and drift towards magenta, while greens are too warm and lack saturation.
    My website:
    www.55media.net

I would look at Canon XC10. You can get them now for just over $900 used.

Thanks. I've actually shot with the xc10 and it's decent. Not looking for a non-detachable lens though...

If you get the pocket 4k i can bet you its going to become your main cam and end up getting another hahahaha

you can wire up a small 12v power bank and mount it at the bottom with a 3d printed bracket. Will still be a smaller footprint than C100, gets you through half a days shoot by running internal battery low then switching it on to run and charge internal then switch off to run battery low and so on. This is how I have been shooting run gun

Thanks for the suggestions, guys... So I just went to BH to check out the bmpcc 4k. Really lovely design, form factor and menu, etc. But when I asked him about order time he kind of gave me a "you don't want to know" look. Or he really just didn't know. Every question I asked about user feedback he couldn't answer because he said there have been so few users that there hasn't been much or any feedback in person. Anyway, he mentioned something about getting my camera in June or July so I just told him I'd think about it. He attributes it to BM just being a smaller company and not having the the production capacity..Totally cool and knowledgeable guy but sort of depressing waiting that long. Can anyone chime in on how long it took for their camera to arrive from BH or Adorama or anywhere else? Thanks